GT500 vs Vette

svttech76 said:
german quality??? have you ever worked on cars?? german cars are not very reliable at all, if anything they are worse than domestics.. japenese cars you can make the argument and win it that the quality is better.

I agree. Every german car I've owned has had a major problem, and everyone Ive spoken to that owns audi, bmw, mercedes has their car 'in the shop for weeks already'. I think the weakest point in german cars is the electrical system. Although you CANT argue that americans have better TQM and manufacturing quality boundaries than the japanese and germans, it sure seems that our cars withstand alot more abuse than theirs.

• Sponsors (?)

I had a bad feeling it would turn to this, quality this, quality that.

I'm a very lucky person, I won a settlement, and I pretty much have the choice of owning any car I want. But, I decided (6 mos ago) that I was too young to make any decisions, and invested 80% of the money into a long CD. I already bought a house, and have a newborn son, so, i'm not really in the market right now for a car, and if I was, I would'nt be shopping at any american car dealerships. Before I turn 30 i'll own my porsche, and i'll be happy.

Whatever happened to just being able to have an opinion. Everyone gets ripped for what they say, like with the quality thing. It's annoying, oh well, I expect more from you guys....

I could have bought any car I wanted, and I chose a stock '99 Limited, because I thought it was perfect for me, and it is. In time i'll have a "supercar", i'm too young for that right now.

1fast03pony said:
Not sure what c6 you drove, but the ones ive driven are on rails... way more solid and secure at 100+mph than any stock e46 m3...
i drove a C6 Z51. dont get me wrong, it handled good, better than my stang, but not as good as the M3. the M3 is unbelievably solid and predictable, especially with the goodyear eagle tires he has.

1fast03pony said:
I agree. Every german car I've owned has had a major problem, and everyone Ive spoken to that owns audi, bmw, mercedes has their car 'in the shop for weeks already'. I think the weakest point in german cars is the electrical system. Although you CANT argue that americans have better TQM and manufacturing quality boundaries than the japanese and germans, it sure seems that our cars withstand alot more abuse than theirs.
i agree, my buddy used to srive an audi TT 225. that car had more problems than anything ive seen. electrical problems too. wierd stuff like the MAF sensor and TPS going out.

wow sounds like this has turned it to quite the intersting topic, but i figured i would through my 02. cents in anyway. Both cars are totally in a league of there own, the new Z06 is just nuts, i mean looks at the times the thing posted at the nurberg in in germany, i believe it had one of the best times for the track, beating porshe's and etc hands down, and yes it maybe 10-15 grand more in the price deptartment, but i think the car is a more all around car than the GT500, and just think this is a NA car, granted its 7 liters but hey look at what ligenfelter did with it after they got there hands on it.
Lingenfelter Performance Engineering (LPE) 2005 Chevrolet Corvette C6 Twin-Turbo 427
www.lingenfelter.com
260/724-2552
427 c.i. (7.0L) Twin-Turbo V-8 engine (725 HP)

Original engine removal, inspection, and disassembly
GM 7.0L aluminum block
4340 forged steel crankshaft
Custom forged aluminum pistons
Forged steel connecting rods
Computer balanced rotating assembly
LPE CNC-porting and hand polishing of cylinder heads
2.02-inch intake/1.57-inch exhaust valves
Custom double valve springs with titanium retainers
LPE hydraulic roller camshaft and lifters
Two Garret hybrid GT-series ball-bearing turbochargers
High efficiency liquid-to-air charge cooler
High efficiency liquid-to-air heat exchanger, pump, and coolant tank
Custom molded silicone air ducts
Custom stainless-steel exhaust manifolds
Custom stainless-steel turbo outlet adapters
LPE belt-driven turbocharger scavenge pump and oil reservoir
Conical air filters, heat shields, and stainless-steel clamps
LPE MAF sensor
High capacity fuel system
Oversized fuel injectors
LPE rear mount battery system
Corsa 2.5-inch diameter stainless-steel cat-back dual exhaust system
Professional installation, tuning, and dyno testing
LPE Twin-Turbo Engine Package (installed): $52,995

Engine/Tranny/Safety Upgrades (1,100 HP)

Custom Moldex billet steel crankshaft
Billet steel connecting rods
Heavy-duty timing chain set
FAST intake manifold
Upgraded fuel injectors and support electronics
Secondary fuel pump system
High-flow fuel rails with adjustable fuel pressure regulator
Custom Corsa 3-inch diameter stainless-steel exhaust system
TiAL blow-off valves
TiAL external waste gates
LPE custom dry sump oil system
Custom GT35R ball-bearing turbochargers (special water cooled turbos)
Custom stainless-steel exhaust manifolds and outlets
Higher capacity intercooler with remote rear-mounted coolant tank
Electronic boost controller
Transmission overhaul including H-D main shaft and gear sets
3.15:1 rearend differential gear set
Heavy-duty differential output shafts
McLeod dual-disk clutch with sintered iron disks
Clutch scattershield with transmission safety blanket
6-point roll bar with removable side door bars
Recaro racing seats
5-point racing seat belt system
Boost gauge with gauge pod
Shift light
Fire extinguisher
Video camera mount
1,100 HP Upgrades (installed): $94,500

Additional Upgrades

DRM/Bilstein coil-over shocks/springs
Special anti-roll bar end links
HRE 844R 19x10-inch (front) and 20x12.5-inch (rear) forged aluminum wheels
Michelin Pilot Sport 2 285/35ZR19 (front) and 335/30ZR20 (rear) tires
Chevrolet Z06 front and rear fenders, front fascia, painting, installation
Labor to modify vehicle for oversized wheels/tires
Brembo 4-piston calipers, 14-inch diameter 2-piece, cross-drilled rotors, heavy-duty brake pads, stainless-steel brake lines (front and rear)
Innovative Motorsports air/fuel meter and data acquisition system
LPE additional upgrades (installed): $29,935.99

Total Upgrades Price: $177,430 (Not including vehicle)
Total Package Price: $225,860 (Including $48,430 Corvette C6)
so to say that the GT500 with just a few bolt ons will be able to destroy the Z06 and Viper, i mean the ligenfelter and the henessey viper are on the rarer side but i just do not see anybody comming close to what these companies have done with the vette and viper even in there "tuned down" packages, And yes i also belive that ford was worried to much about making money on this car rather than, trying to devleop and test new things, i mean develop and lighter motor, work with the suspension, etc etc etc. and there is what i think is wrong with automakers today, i mean take some time to throughly develop things, dont just shove it out there trying to make the quick dollar, and improve as years go on, i mean this should have been one of those 1-2 year "special editions" like the anniversary ta's and etc, but people will find alot of flaws in it and i dont think after a few years of production it will have the same luster. so in short to say i would own one yes i would but to compare to a Z06 or viper or of the like i think is a little over the top.

DerekStangGT said:
i drove a C6 Z51. dont get me wrong, it handled good, better than my stang, but not as good as the M3. the M3 is unbelievably solid and predictable, especially with the goodyear eagle tires he has.
I would've bought a vette over my cobra because it handles great, but i have a big penis and i don't want to mix my signals to the womanz

corvette.jpg

For me power isnt everything. The M3 is badass IMO, there's only two other cars in the world which i'd pay $$$$$$$$ for, one is american. I think, maybe, if I were in the market, I would look into the 500, it is a pretty awesome car it seems, must be a blast to drive, and, as far as looks, I think it scores a 10/10.

But I still got way too much love for the M class BMW, just love it, cant help it. I guess you really actually have to drive one to understand....I doubt many people get the chance to.

:SNSign:

tomustang said:
I would've bought a vette over my cobra because it handles great, but i have a big penis and i don't want to mix my signals to the womanz

corvette.jpg
:lol:
QFT
even though ive never seen tom's penis
:(

QuickCapri83 said:
For me power isnt everything. The M3 is badass IMO, there's only two other cars in the world which i'd pay $$$$$$$$ for, one is american. I think, maybe, if I were in the market, I would look into the 500, it is a pretty awesome car it seems, must be a blast to drive, and, as far as looks, I think it scores a 10/10.

But I still got way too much love for the M class BMW, just love it, cant help it. I guess you really actually have to drive one to understand....I doubt many people get the chance to.

:SNSign:
yeah, the M3 really is an unbelievable car. i cant wait til my pops goes outta town so i can drive it around again. :D

'Vette vs. GT500

I just read the Car and Driver article and it seems like the Corvette is the better deal/car. I was pulling for the GT500, but it seems like Ford priced the car too high and made it too heavy.

I break it down like so:

Price -- Equal. GT500 41k + $750 destination + $1300 gas guzzler tax + $1900 for the premium interior trim package and Shaker 1000 (I imagine most will get the options) total: $45,000. Dealer markup obviously has it higher than that. Also, it will cost a good bit more to fuel the 500 over the length of ownership. I believe a Z51 equipped 'Vette is about 44-45k ( I've heard you can get them cheaper).

Looks -- 'Vette wins. They look like sex on wheels. The new 'Stangs look bloated and the rear end sticks up too high. This is subjective, however.

The 'Vette gets much better gas mileage. This may not be a big deal for those buying these cars, but I think knocking down 28mpg on the highway is pretty nice for a car of that caliber.

The 'Vette has a better suspention setup and handles better.

WEIGHT!! -- the 'Vette is about 700lbs lighter!

The 'Vette has better aero, higher top speed, better weight distribution -- ~51/49 vs ~58/42 for the GT500 (front heavy in comparison). The GT500 is also more top heavy with it's higher center of gravity (DOHC w/ blower on top doesn't help)

Interior -- I don't know about this one because I haven't seen the 500's interior up close. The c6 looks good though.

With mods, straight line speed will go to the 500, but for 45k, I would want more than a one trick pony.

Maybe if the 500 was about 37k with no gas guzzler tax, I would feel different. :shrug:

Just thought I'd add this:

crazy ford tech said:
5711 - 2007 SHELBY GT500 MUSTANG - CLUTCH CHATTER DURING TAKE-OFF WHEN TRANSMISSION IS HOT
SOME 2007 SHELBY GT500 MUSTANGS EQUIPPED WITH A MANUAL TRANSMISSION MAY EXHIBIT A "CLUTCH CHATTER" DURING INITIAL TAKE-OFF OF THE VEHICLE WHEN THE TRANSMISSION IS HOT. THE CLUTCH CHATTER MAY BE PRESENT IN 1ST AND/OR REVERSE GEARS AND IS CONSIDERED A NORMAL CHARACTERISTIC CAUSED BY THE CERAMETALIC CLUTCH LINING. THE CLUTCH CHATTER HAS NO EFFECT ON THE PERFORMANCE OR DURABILITY OF THE VEHICLE. COMPARE TO A LIKE UNIT. IF THE SYMPTOM IS EXCESSIVE COMPARED TO A LIKE UNIT, FOLLOW NORMAL WORKSHOP MANUAL PROCEDURES TO FURTHER DIAGNOSE THE ISSUE.
5710 - 2007 SHELBY GT500 MUSTANG WITH MANUAL TRANSMISSION - 1ST AND 2ND GEAR RATTLE NOISE UNDER LIGHT ACCELERATION
SOME 2007 SHELBY GT500 MUSTANGS EQUIPPED WITH A MANUAL TRANSMISSION MAY EXHIBIT A "GEAR RATTLE" NOISE FROM THE DRIVELINE IN 1ST AND 2ND GEAR UNDER LIGHT ACCELERATION. THE NOISE IS ONLY PRESENT IN 1ST AND 2ND GEAR AND IS CONSIDERED A NORMAL CHARACTERISTIC CAUSED BY THE CONTACT PATTERN OF THESE GEARS. THE GEAR RATTLE NOISE HAS NO EFFECT ON THE PERFORMANCE OR DURABILITY OF THE VEHICLE. COMPARE TO A LIKE UNIT. IF THE SYMPTOM IS EXCESSIVE COMPARED TO A LIKE UNIT, FOLLOW NORMAL WORKSHOP MANUAL PROCEDURES TO FURTHER DIAGNOSE THE ISSUE.
5707 - 2007 SHELBY GT500 MUSTANG - HISS NOISE FROM CLUTCH DURING ENGAGEMENT
SOME 2007 SHELBY GT500 MUSTANGS EQUIPPED WITH A MANUAL TRANSMISSION MAY EXHIBIT A "HISS" NOISE FROM THE DRIVELINE DURING CLUTCH ENGAGEMENT. THE HISS NOISE IS MOST NOTICEABLE DURING INITIAL ENGAGEMENT OF THE CLUTCH IN 1ST AND/OR REVERSE GEARS AND IS CONSIDERED A NORMAL CHARACTERISTIC CAUSED WHEN THE CERAMETALIC CLUTCH LINING CONTACTS THE PRESSURE PLATE AND FLY WHEEL METAL SURFACES. THE NOISE HAS NO EFFECT ON THE PERFORMANCE OR DURABILITY OF THE VEHICLE. COMPARE TO A LIKE UNIT. IF THE SYMPTOM IS EXCESSIVE COMPARED TO A LIKE UNIT, FOLLOW NORMAL WORKSHOP MANUAL PROCEDURES TO FURTHER DIAGNOSE THE ISSUE.

I like how it says to compare to a like unit.Yeah like we got a lot full of em'!Yup,I can see it coming.

GT500:

priced too high(equal or more than Z51 'Vette), 'Vette looks better, too heavy, inferior suspention, front heavy 58/42 weight distribution vs. 51/49 for 'Vette, less aerodynamic, more top-heavy(DOHC w/blower on top), poor gas mileage('Vette gets 28mpg) etc.

The Cobra seems like a one trick pony(1/4 warrior) and for 45K+ I would want a car that offers more. Heck, even the Evo XI at 31k seems like much better deal.

Stang|ess said:
Just thought I'd add this:

Interesting. Clutch chatter on a hot tranny. Wow, that ought to take about 5 minutes to heat up. Then your just ****ed because they call it normal? A normal ****up for Ford maybe. Unless its loud compared to other like units. Not sure about your Ford dealers, but if I owned a GT500....it would probably be the only one my dealer ever worked on. Not sure I'd even trust them with that.

QuickCapri -- Anyways....a car decision should be based on some research and personal choice. Can't go wrong with a Porsche or a M3. Beautiful cars, very well built...high performance. Maybe not perfect, this might go wrong, that might go wrong, the Ferrari F50 is faster...blah blah blah. The plastic pushtab holding down my shifter trim ring broke on my Mustang....but I'm still loving it.

Skidzz said:
You must have decent dealerships where you are. Around here, when the 03 cobra came out, IF you could even find one around here, it was at least $3000 over the sticker.
it depends on what part of the country you live in. I have atleast 10 Ford Dealerships within a 20 mile radius of my house so markups don't fly around here. they tried marking up the 03 Cobra but that didn't last long because we have options. Their was actually a few leftover 03 Cobras on a few lots.

my wife is considering letting me get another stang, if i promise not to mod it. of course i lied and agreed. man an 03 -04 cobra gets my blood boiling.

i can resist anything but temptation.

she's really after me from this last spending spree. it really doesn't matter how many times i tell her i'm spending however much i want to spend, she still calls it a money pit. i call it a hobby. 20grand is the limit i tell her. but 20 grand AND an 03 cobra, well that sounds about right.

i'll just tell her the upper pulley is worn out, and it gets better mileage with a new tune, and CAI. yeah that's the ticket, i'll lie to her.

billfisher said:
my wife is considering letting me get another stang, if i promise not to mod it. of course i lied and agreed. man an 03 -04 cobra gets my blood boiling.

i can resist anything but temptation.

she's really after me from this last spending spree. it really doesn't matter how many times i tell her i'm spending however much i want to spend, she still calls it a money pit. i call it a hobby. 20grand is the limit i tell her. but 20 grand AND an 03 cobra, well that sounds about right.

i'll just tell her the upper pulley is worn out, and it gets better mileage with a new tune, and CAI. yeah that's the ticket, i'll lie to her.
Just tell her that having 200 pairs of shoes is a waste of money too, that's what I do haha. Everything that is not necissary to survive is an equal waste of money if you think about it.....

Chevy could release a card board box with wheels, slap the Corvette logo on it, and Car & Driver would call it the best sports car in modern day history.:nonono:

C&D is so pro Chevy (The Vette anyways) it's not even funny anymore.

Blackie Lawless said:
Chevy could release a card board box with wheels, slap the Corvette logo on it, and Car & Driver would call it the best sports car in modern day history.:nonono:

C&D is so pro Chevy (The Vette anyways) it's not even funny anymore.
There really isn't much to not like about the 'Vette. BTW, Motor Trend is suppose to be pro Ford.