guage cluster color change

sammyrocks

Founding Member
Jan 26, 2002
I read that the user will be able to change the backlight color of the guages. I have also read that the backlights of the a/c controls, stereo controls, door lock controls, window controls, etc. will stay the same color regardless. My question is, would you even want to change just the guage colors and have the rest not match up? Honestly, this seems a bit cheap to me.

Did Ford do this for cost cutting? I'm not trying to be negative here, I'm very excited about the new Mustang. It's just, this whole gauge thing seems very strangely done.

• Sponsors (?)

It would be pretty difficult to change all the various backlights. All the cluster lights share a common circuit... Just like when you dim the cluster lights, the others don't change... I doubt I would want the color change option, just another useless gadget in my opinion. I have a hard enough seeing at night, without worrying about what color gauge I want this evening. :)

It neat that the gages change. But I don't know why you would want the little lights matching. If the gages are different color than the little acsent light that wouldn't seem noticable. Your not going to be looking at the window button all the time while you are driving unlike the gages. It would be cooler if they did but it is not a big matter and they gages will stand out over the little lights anyway so it doesn't really matter.

Wow welcome to last year's topics. :D I don't think it really matters what color the rest of the lights are. I mean as pointed out above. how many times are you going to look at the other lights. And the door and window controls don't light up anyway.

shatner saves said:
does anyone know what the color for the other controls is? If they light up white, then they don't really need to match the gauges, do they?

I agree, if everything else is white then it doesn't matter, if the Stereo and switches are the standard Ford green then it may look a little odd. Either way the gages are still cool, glad to see the Mustang get an industry first feature

GaPonyFarm said:
Just like when you dim the cluster lights, the others don't change...

They do in my wife's 02 Monte Carlo SS, you dim the dash lights ALL the interior lights dim accordingly, little lights on power window switches and power lock switches, the works. Dimmer interior lights is actually more relaxing on the eyes when driving long distances at night (which is the majority of the time we travel anywhere far is at night, less traffic)

however cheapish the option is I am looking forward to it. It will be cool to see what is most comforting and clearest to see at night. The most important information the drivers needs to see IMO will be affected so that counts for something.

I am still a little bummed and even surpirsed that Ford doesn't use automatic lighting. Oh, well a small sacrifice I will miss a little and get used to it eventually.

WaltA said:
From what has been posted elsewhere, this option is certainly not going to be cheap!

I think it would be cheap for Ford to include, otherwise why would they offer it as standard equip. Electronic gadgets now-a-days are relatively cheap. If not, I would have prefered Ford offered the IRS as standard than the color changing lights. Do you have any documentation of what this (lighting) is worth.

Wylde said:
I think it would be cheap for Ford to include, otherwise why would they offer it as standard equip.

One the list I was referring to, had it listed as an option; not standard equipment on either the V6 nor the GT.