Interior and Upholstery Guage Pod Surround Repair

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
So this bugs me, simply because I can see it. My cluster pod is mint other than this defect.

IMG_3520.jpg

I've been searching around for a replacement, but the ones I see are in far worse shape. I do have my original pod, but I replaced it years back due to drilling for a 5" tach. What can I say i was a stupid kid 15 years ago.

Can this be repaired in a manner that you won't be able to tell it was fixed? I don't want to paint at all. I figure this damage is out of my line of sight, but I still don't want to see it
IMG_3521.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

I would trim the edges smooth, fill them carefully with JB Weld or the likes, and call it a day if you dont want to paint. I think the only way to truely make them disappear is by filling and painting the whole thing.

What year do you need this for? I believe i have a mint 87-89 or whatever year its just sitting. I was going to toss it maybe you could use it. I can check on the condition for you

I would test spray a few different sheens/brands of black (on a scrap piecw of plastic) and see if you can match it and just lightly scuff and blend that edge on the first one...the one with the holes will always look bad unless you fill and paint the whole piece in mu opinion...

So this bugs me, simply because I can see it. My cluster pod is mint other than this defect.

IMG_3520.jpg

I've been searching around for a replacement, but the ones I see are in far worse shape. I do have my original pod, but I replaced it years back due to drilling for a 5" tach. What can I say i was a stupid kid 15 years ago.

Can this be repaired in a manner that you won't be able to tell it was fixed? I don't want to paint at all. I figure this damage is out of my line of sight, but I still don't want to see it
IMG_3521.jpg
Junkyard and grab another one.

Reactions: 1 user
Junkyard and grab another one.

Tried that. The ones I'm finding are in far worse condition than the one currently in the car. I bought one on ebay that looked mint, but had broken tabs and a small crack. Apparently the seller's definition of "flawless" was different than mine.

I'm going to see if I can match paint on the one with the holes, and then touch up that spot on the one currently in the car.

Tried that. The ones I'm finding are in far worse condition than the one currently in the car. I bought one on ebay that looked mint, but had broken tabs and a small crack. Apparently the seller's definition of "flawless" was different than mine.

I'm going to see if I can match paint on the one with the holes, and then touch up that spot on the one currently in the car.
:thinking:

Does it matter the color?

I've seen good stuff dine with PBA ( haven't used myself ). There was a guy that used a pick to make the grain pattern on a repaired plastic trim piece. Look great when finished.

Wouldn't filling/sanding/painting it yield you a smooth spot while the rest of the cluster housing isn't? Unless you planned on sanding and smoothing the whole housing? otherwise I would just wait until another could be found in mint shape

I've seen a review on a product called Plastex that was used to duplicate the grain as well as repair. I can't find the link right now, but it might be worth looking into.

Wouldn't filling/sanding/painting it yield you a smooth spot while the rest of the cluster housing isn't? Unless you planned on sanding and smoothing the whole housing? otherwise I would just wait until another could be found in mint shape

If you sand the crap out of it. To get the textured coating, you only sand to take off edges and high spots.