Guess The Problem

JJD08

Jul 23, 2017
1990 5.0 with AOD, driving along at 75 when all of a sudden the RPMs change and the speed drops. Smoke starts pouring out from under and smells like burning rubber and trans fluid. Tool along the breakdown lane at 10 mph and the smoke stops, we're now able to drive home at 60 mph without incident. I turn on my road and the car doesn't want to shift out of first. I only have to go a mile so 15-20 mph is just fine and halfway down the road it up shifts and drives fine. Now it's parked and there's no puddle underneath.

• Sponsors (?)

I had that happen when my vale body started coming apart. Last time it happened I only had over drive. That was fun. Stupid aod left me stranded more than once.
So what do I win?

If I had lost all the fluid, the car wouldn't have made it home. There's also no puddle under the car and there wasn't when it first happened. Right now I'm thinking valve body. That would explain how it continued to drive. If it was the TV cable it wouldn't have eventually upshifted at all.

I've already got a 70 Mach 1 project that's taking forever, I don't need to add another by switching this one to a T5. For the price of these cars I'll just buy one that's already got a manual transmission.

Here's an update. The TV cable bushing is intact and fully functional. The extension housing seal was leaking. That would explain the smoke because it was throwing it directly on the hot exhaust pipe. The fluid level was normal, but badly burnt and there was no unusual material in the pan. The whole transmission was flushed and a new filter installed.

Now, it drove perfectly fine for a few miles then it wouldn't shift into third. It drove perfectly well up to 45 and then it just made more noise but wouldn't go faster.

It looks like 85ragtop has the only idea not ruled out. I suppose I'll have to replace the valve body. Does anyone have any suggestions? This is a street car and will never see the strip.

Well, after emailing with Dan at Silverfox, I've come to the conclusion that the transmission needs a rebuild. As much as I'd love to have a built AOD, i don't think that will be in the cards anytime soon. I may have to go the simple rebuild route for now.