guys the shop ran into problems installing moser axles....

ADRENLN

Apr 16, 2003
NJ
Visit site
my car is having a rear done right now. it was supposed to be done, but when i called they said they ran into a problem.

i got the moser axles for ford 8.8 rear. the shop said they are too long not alot but a little and thinks they have to grind them down. :shrug:

i just dont get why these shouldnt fit exactly? it this normal with the moser or any aftermarket axles? i want to know if i was sent the wrong axles.

will grinding them down a little have any effect on them ?

thanks for any info....i want to knowbefore anything gets messed up.

• Sponsors(?)

2000BLKGT

Founding Member
May 24, 2001
Toronto
Visit site
ADRENLN said:
my car is having a rear done right now. it was supposed to be done, but when i called they said they ran into a problem.

i got the moser axles for ford 8.8 rear. the shop said they are too long not alot but a little and thinks they have to grind them down. :shrug:

i just dont get why these shouldnt fit exactly? it this normal with the moser or any aftermarket axles? i want to know if i was sent the wrong axles.

will grinding them down a little have any effect on them ?

thanks for any info....i want to knowbefore anything gets messed up.
That doesn't sound right...don't put them on.

We had a guy up here have a problem with Mosers too...the wheel bolt pattern was off.

MyEarsHurt

May 21, 2004
www.sounddomain.com
If you bought them for an 8.8 that doesnt sound right at all. Is there a product number on the axle somewhere, maybe call mosher and make sure you have the right set? Where did you get them from?

Mustang5L5

i'm familiar with penetration
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
Well there are two 8.8 lenghts for SN95 cars.

94-98 axles and 99-04 axles are different lenghts with the 99-04's being slightly longer.

EVen thogh, he said his were too long for his '02 so it doesn't sound like he got 94-98 axles.

I wouldn't let them grind the axles down. Depending on where they grind them, the heat buildup changed the properties of the metal in that area and makes it brittle. I would send them back and get another set.

Kilgore Trout

Fried or Broiled ?
10 Year Member
Mar 30, 2005
I am just glad you decided to spend time and money on your axles. With your mods you definitely need to upgrade them :nice:

Oh wait, no you totally DON'T :notnice:

reeber

10 Year Member
Mar 10, 2004
Berlin, NJ
Did you change from the IRS to a solid axle? In that case, you'll need the shorter axles. I don't remember seeing if you swapped to a solid rear axle? Moser is known for not sending the correct fitments. It happens more than I like to hear.

reeber

10 Year Member
Mar 10, 2004
Berlin, NJ
Kilgore Trout said:
I am just glad you decided to spend time and money on your axles. With your mods you definitely need to upgrade them :nice:

Oh wait, no you totally DON'T :notnice:
I think he's taking a perfectly fine approach. He's setting his car up with SAFETY in mind, not speed. He'll make the car strong enough to handle the horsepower he plans to make in the future.

ADRENLN

Apr 16, 2003
NJ
Visit site
kilgore, this is getting done now while the gears are going in because i dont want do it again later. the car ultimitly be around 400-450 rwhp...hopefully.

reeber, no im just doing standerd axle replacement. i just talked to craig, and he said they already got everything together. he said that they just had to sand down a small amount. it hard for me to understand what he means over the phone.

well he said it wasnt that big of a deal and it could have even been because of the eaton carrier. the way they fit into different carriers. :shrug: said it wouldnd effect the strenth of them or anything. hope hes right!

reeber

10 Year Member
Mar 10, 2004
Berlin, NJ
ADRENLN said:
well he said it wasnt that big of a deal and it could have even been because of the eaton carrier. the way they fit into different carriers. :shrug: said it wouldnd effect the strenth of them or anything. hope hes right!
That wasn't the first time he had to do some fabrication to his axles. His Pro 5.0 car needed fabrication. He pulled 1.200 60 FT. times on his axles and they never broke. I wouldn't worry. He wouldn't do anything to anyone elses car that he wouldn't trust for himself. That's one of the main reasons I like working with him.

ADRENLN

Apr 16, 2003
NJ
Visit site
whats up reeber. yea im not worried enough to change the axles at all. i just hope that everything is strong. mitch told me about it initially and i was a bit concerned. i would have sent back the axles. i later talked to craig and it seemed to be no big deal. i just have to see exactly what the problem was. ill stop up monday and see.

hows your car running :nice:

reeber

10 Year Member
Mar 10, 2004
Berlin, NJ
ADRENLN said:
hows your car running :nice:
My cars running like a raped ape! I hit 11.90 with a 1.9 60FT at over 121 MPH last thursday and went sideways in second gear almost hitting the wall. The BFG drag radials can't handle the power now. My car should go low to mid 11's with the proper setup. This week we're gonna up the power by dropping another pulley size. I picked up the Reichard Racing Ultra Grip pulley that promises no slip. I had a bit of a slip with the old pulley. We'll be around 525 HP when done.

Kilgore Trout

Fried or Broiled ?
10 Year Member
Mar 30, 2005
damacman said:
Kilgore,

Seems like you've had a foot stickin' out of your mouth alot lately. Maybe, you'll think before you speak next time . . .
:rlaugh: Little balls are big balls on the internet...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P New Guy...what Paint Shop In Central Florida? Regional Forums and Event Information 0
SRT Handz Did Some Shopping Today..... At Chemical Guys!!! 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 3
T body shop guys Classic Mustang Specific Tech 4
S Q for body shop guys SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 5
K Question for Body Shop guys Mustang Sound & Shine All 0
S we need a sticky for shops in our areas guys Regional Forums and Event Information 0
1320stang Have you guys heard of this online machine shop? Classic Mustang Specific Tech 8
O Body shop guys, is this worth trying to fix ?? Mustang Sound & Shine All 12
L Info on "The Old Guys" shop in Woodbury, NJ? Regional Forums and Event Information 0
ADRENLN do you guys know any good mustang shops in s. jersey Regional Forums and Event Information 3
IICrazy Guys like shopping to 1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech 10
S i hate stupid shops plz help me out guys SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 6
B Toledo area guys, stay away from Holland Body Shop Regional Forums and Event Information 1
Blakers01GT quote from body shop for 460.00$ to fix this dent, what do you guys think,fair?(pics) SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 3
nickthegenius What shop manual do you guys recommend? SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 3
R New guy with a weird name The Welcome Wagon 1
7 New Guy from Oregon 79 Pace Car 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 4
V NEW GUY FROM JERSEY HERE, BUT NOT NEW 5.0 The Welcome Wagon 5
S New Guy 2003 GT looking for intake manifold upgrade recommendations SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 1
K New guy from Albany NY The Welcome Wagon 13
Lavish5.0 New guy in Nor Cal w/ 2015 Mustang GT The Welcome Wagon 3
G New guy from Long Island first ford project in 35 years The Welcome Wagon 2
H New guy with an 87 drop top gt The Welcome Wagon 2
M New Guy from Mi The Welcome Wagon 4
M New guy from New York The Welcome Wagon 6
B Fox Just picked up a sick set of cobra rims the rears are 17x9 and the fronts are 17x8 whats the biggest set of tires i can put on there guys 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 6
R New guy in ohio The Welcome Wagon 6
C Hi guys i just got a 2003 mustang gt 4.6 how do check kow it the car has pi heads SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 6
C Sooooo just curious on your guys opinion 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 3
0 Hey guys, 01 gt having problems really need some help. SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 8
1hot87gt What weight oil you guys running? 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 42
Michael sommers New guy from Missouri The Welcome Wagon 7
H New guy The Welcome Wagon 1
Saberdemon New guy from Maryland here The Welcome Wagon 13
M New guy The Welcome Wagon 1
K So what you guys doing? EGR Block Off 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 7
Q New Guy The Welcome Wagon 1
Q New Guy 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 13
M New guy here from SE Pa The Welcome Wagon 4
C New guy with SVO The Welcome Wagon 2
S New guy The Welcome Wagon 1
A New Guy, Old Car The Welcome Wagon 3
Mag_fox88 Hi guys Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 2
CarMichael Angelo RANT!!! The circle of life..The car guy version. 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 29
W New guy The Welcome Wagon 6
S new Old guy The Welcome Wagon 3
mybckup New guy from the north The Welcome Wagon 2
E Hey Guys! The Welcome Wagon 1
5 New guy The Welcome Wagon 4
J New Guy from Eastern Ky! The Welcome Wagon 1