guys the shop ran into problems installing moser axles....

ADRENLN

Apr 16, 2003
NJ
my car is having a rear done right now. it was supposed to be done, but when i called they said they ran into a problem.

i got the moser axles for ford 8.8 rear. the shop said they are too long not alot but a little and thinks they have to grind them down. :shrug:

i just dont get why these shouldnt fit exactly? it this normal with the moser or any aftermarket axles? i want to know if i was sent the wrong axles.

will grinding them down a little have any effect on them ?

thanks for any info....i want to knowbefore anything gets messed up.

• Sponsors (?)

ADRENLN said:
my car is having a rear done right now. it was supposed to be done, but when i called they said they ran into a problem.

i got the moser axles for ford 8.8 rear. the shop said they are too long not alot but a little and thinks they have to grind them down. :shrug:

i just dont get why these shouldnt fit exactly? it this normal with the moser or any aftermarket axles? i want to know if i was sent the wrong axles.

will grinding them down a little have any effect on them ?

thanks for any info....i want to knowbefore anything gets messed up.

That doesn't sound right...don't put them on.

We had a guy up here have a problem with Mosers too...the wheel bolt pattern was off.

If you bought them for an 8.8 that doesnt sound right at all. Is there a product number on the axle somewhere, maybe call mosher and make sure you have the right set? Where did you get them from?

Well there are two 8.8 lenghts for SN95 cars.

94-98 axles and 99-04 axles are different lenghts with the 99-04's being slightly longer.

EVen thogh, he said his were too long for his '02 so it doesn't sound like he got 94-98 axles.

I wouldn't let them grind the axles down. Depending on where they grind them, the heat buildup changed the properties of the metal in that area and makes it brittle. I would send them back and get another set.

Did you change from the IRS to a solid axle? In that case, you'll need the shorter axles. I don't remember seeing if you swapped to a solid rear axle? Moser is known for not sending the correct fitments. It happens more than I like to hear.

Kilgore Trout said:
I am just glad you decided to spend time and money on your axles. With your mods you definitely need to upgrade them :nice:

Oh wait, no you totally DON'T :notnice:

I think he's taking a perfectly fine approach. He's setting his car up with SAFETY in mind, not speed. He'll make the car strong enough to handle the horsepower he plans to make in the future.

kilgore, this is getting done now while the gears are going in because i dont want do it again later. the car ultimitly be around 400-450 rwhp...hopefully.

reeber, no im just doing standerd axle replacement. i just talked to craig, and he said they already got everything together. he said that they just had to sand down a small amount. it hard for me to understand what he means over the phone.

well he said it wasnt that big of a deal and it could have even been because of the eaton carrier. the way they fit into different carriers. :shrug: said it wouldnd effect the strenth of them or anything. hope hes right!

ADRENLN said:
well he said it wasnt that big of a deal and it could have even been because of the eaton carrier. the way they fit into different carriers. :shrug: said it wouldnd effect the strenth of them or anything. hope hes right!

That wasn't the first time he had to do some fabrication to his axles. His Pro 5.0 car needed fabrication. He pulled 1.200 60 FT. times on his axles and they never broke. I wouldn't worry. He wouldn't do anything to anyone elses car that he wouldn't trust for himself. That's one of the main reasons I like working with him.

whats up reeber. yea im not worried enough to change the axles at all. i just hope that everything is strong. mitch told me about it initially and i was a bit concerned. i would have sent back the axles. i later talked to craig and it seemed to be no big deal. i just have to see exactly what the problem was. ill stop up monday and see.

hows your car running :nice:

ADRENLN said:
hows your car running :nice:

My cars running like a raped ape! I hit 11.90 with a 1.9 60FT at over 121 MPH last thursday and went sideways in second gear almost hitting the wall. The BFG drag radials can't handle the power now. My car should go low to mid 11's with the proper setup. This week we're gonna up the power by dropping another pulley size. I picked up the Reichard Racing Ultra Grip pulley that promises no slip. I had a bit of a slip with the old pulley. We'll be around 525 HP when done.

^^^^^

e-thug.jpg