Guys w/ Tokico D-spec, I got questions plz hlp..

Davin

Founding Member
Mar 9, 2000
Jacksonville, FL
I have a 94 GT but not many of those guys seem to have the d-spec and it seems more prevalent here. I'm going to an Air Ride suspension and I'm trying to decide if I should replace my failed Tokico Illumina strut or go ahead and get D-spec at all fours.
I'm trying to grasp how much I'd actually be gaining with "infinite adjustability" vs the 5 pre-sets of the Illumina. I don't drift and I don't drag race...the car is pretty much just a street car that sees occasional auto cross.

Thanks in advance...

• Sponsors (?)

Although the D-specs are infinite, they still advise adjustments in terms of a full turn and there are 5. I have mine on the midway setting on my S197 which is supercharged and I have no complaints tilting along at high speeds on UK twisties. Mine are coupled with Roush springs and stock sway bars.

that's helpful information b/c what I'm really trying to determine is if its worth the jack to ditch my current setup for the d-specs. Are there any "clicks" or anything to let you know exactly where the partial turn points are? Also, Is there any indicator that tells you how many clicks you are on or do you just kind of click all the way left or right and then count over?
Thanks!

No clicks, just an adjuster and a red "pointer" line on the top so you know where you are. As for whether it's worth ditching the suspension for D-Specs, I can't say. I had mine on 4 turns out ie 2nd to softest and thought it was pretty good. It was only on a very fast run against an M5, GT2 and a Murcielago that I felt it was a touch soft in the turns so I put it on the mid setting which is an ideal compromise between grip and not being so hard as to be deflected by road imperfections ie pliant and composed not hard and bouncy.

I'm not entirely sure I could ever contemplate needing a mid setting between 3 and 4 or indeed if I could honestly tell the difference and I imagine it would only be on a track trying to find 1/10ths of a second that they might come into their own. As to whether the D-Specs are better shocks per se than the ones you have already I couldn't say. My guess is nmost people select a setting and if it works for them probably don't touch them again. LOL.

That's more helpful feedback. They actually do sound a good deal like my illuminas. I'm getting the impression that one of the big advantages of the d-spec is the wide ends of the spectrum: excessively soft for drag racing and really firm for drifting. Since I spend my time on the street, I'm typically in between. I don't really know what to expect from the air springs but I know I'll need my struts to be tunable to be happy. Great feedback, cheers:nice: