guys who know auto paint

88_GT_5_oh

Sportin' a turbo 5.0 in Canadistan
Jul 4, 2004
WPG/MB/CA
well i kinda shot myself in the foot, i need to touch up a couple places here and there, nothing major but i ran out of paint last night :bang: , paint store is closed today (had a color mixed) and i can't paint till tuesday due to rain tommorow and cooler temps. i wanted to lay down the clear coat but can't till i touch up with the base coat. is it gonna be ok to leave the clear coat till tuesday so i can touch up the base? or should i lay down the clear coat and then buy a rattle can to do my touch ups?

• Sponsors (?)

It can wait. When you go back to get more paint, pick up a tac cloth, and ask them if they sell adhesion promoter. Bull Dog is common brand. It's clear, and you put it down over base coats that have sat for more than 24 hrs before clearing.

It can wait. When you go back to get more paint, pick up a tac cloth, and ask them if they sell adhesion promoter. Bull Dog is common brand. It's clear, and you put it down over base coats that have sat for more than 24 hrs before clearing.

Adhesion promoter is a bad idea, what you are looking at right now is either 1. being able to blow it off tack cloth it and spray it. or 2. sand base, reapply base, than clear. Need to know what you are using to tell you though, some basecoats must be redone after only a day, some have a week.

sorry i took so long to get back to this thread but my daily driver Ranger was involved in a off roading incident and spent the night stuck in the swamp lol (long story)

anyway the paint is Du Pont chromaBase paint and du pont clear coat. the whole area is sealed off in my garage and i have lots of tack cloth. now i don't have a choice , i have to spray tomorrow or else i can't do it till the weekend and i think that is too long IMO. after reading a bit i think i should do a light sand over the whole bay to be safe (and i can take out some minor runs) then do one light coat of base then do the clear coat.

how long after the base coat do you ussually spray the clear coat? i am gonna ask tomorrow at the paint place but figured i would throw this out there.

may this be a leeson to anyone who pulls up this thread. ALWAYS BUY TOO MUCH PAINT!!!

For the record, I've seen adhesion promoter do exactly what you're looking for, but I agree that light wet sanding would be the way to go if your willing to do it. I'd go with 1000 grit, and a light coat of base like you said. I just used chromabase on my engine bay last month. I believe it's a 24 hr system, so you'll definitely need to sand.
Also, you should be able to clear about 20 minutes after a light coat of base is applied. Check an area with your finger - if it doesn't leave a mark, you're good to go. By the way - if you have runs in your basecoat, you are putting it down too heavy. No need to come anywhere close to running paint when spraying base.

well I cant answer for dupont but PPG base has a 24 hour MAX window before clear.... if not clearcoated by then the only answer is to scuff the base and recoat with base and than clear.....you also CANNOT put bulldog on basecoat....bulldog is ment for bare panels(plastic,metal,alum, ect, to aid in ahiesion. I'd check with the dupont people BEFORE you do anything or you will be waisting a lot of money.

i plan to talk to the guys at the pint store, i made this thread cause they were closed when i needed paint. i think all that i need to do is just sand it down and throw down another coat of paint

i talked to the guy today, he said i wouldn't really even need to sand due to the cooler temps :shrug: but i did with some 800 grit before i laid down the paint, took all of 15 mins to sand everything

heres a teaser for everyone who replied to this thread. i will have more pics once everything is done

thanks to everyone who replied

View attachment 389463