Guys with dry nitrous kits...

BlownStangGT

REPEAT
Founding Member
Jan 22, 2002
Lancaster, PA
I have had my nitrous kit for about a year. I started with a 75 shot and then went up to the 100 shot. I had 8* of timing, and autolie 24 plugs gapped at .040. This spring/summer I am thinking of going up to a 125 shot and leaving it at that. What I want to know is what else should I do? I have a msd 6al. I am thinking the following: Upgraded fuel pump to 195 or 255lph, Autolite 23 plugs (2 degrees colder) gapped at about .035??? And some type of ignition retard to back it off when I use nitrous. Can anyone think of what else I can to do to assure it is running at its best?

• Sponsors (?)

Definitely the fuel pump and the plugs are a good idea. I would hold off on the retard until you need it for sure. Check the plugs for any signs of detonation, but at 8* and 125 shot you should be okay. Do you have a bottle heater?

You should be okay with 8*, 125 shot. There are a lot of factors, such as bottle pressure, engine mods, carbon build up, load, etc, but I think you'll be ok.

Get the 255 pump. Lets face it, your mods won't end here. If/when you add H/C/I you'll need the large pump with nitrous.

First you don't have to have an ignition it'll help you run a higher timing though. The best way to set the stock timing is for every 50shot in nitrous you retard the timing 1 to 2degrees. The gapping looks fine what you have also with an ignition of some kinda it'll allow you to run a bigger gap. You can play with that like said check the plugs but 8* sounds about right. I have a 190 pump it works fine with my mods but get the 255 larger never hurts in the case of the fuel pump whatever fuel isn't used is just returned to the tank. You know the jets needed i'm sure 42/fuel an 59/nitrous with a .040 shim for the regulator.

thanx for the info...I have the jet sheet at home, IU havtn sprayed the car since June this past summer, I cant wait to get in it and do some test runs int he spring with the 125 shot to make sure everything is stable and ready to let loose. I fig, worst case scenerio, I need another motor LOL its only less then 500 bux haha, gotta love them cheap motors.

If you do everything that was said, your motor won't have no problems mine lived for 3 years with 100shot an it wasn't always tuned right either lol. When it did blow though wasn't from the nitrous just weak main caps.

Humidity and Temp also factor to how much timing you should run to get the most from the N2O, reading the plugs right after the run will help you tune it in. Get a bottle heater and run it at the same pressure and keep a log book if you can so you can help see what works best.

Tune looks fine to me..I ran 10 degrees with a 175 shot, as you can see every car, tune and combo will be different. Running what your buddy runs will get you in trouble....

I agree with Rick...I used nitrous awhile back & I listened to everyone with thier tune suggestions & it kept me "safe" but it was running pig rich & back firing.

I'd start with 8* of timing a 255lph pump & some extra FP to cover your butt.
Read the plugs after every run (I did this in an industrial park that's empty).Run it, shut it off right after the run (I killed it after the run & coasted to a stop), than pull the plugs & see what they look like & go from there.

For a 100 shot I ended up with 10* of timing 42#'s of FP with a 190lph...but start safe & whittle it down until you get it right... took me about a bottle & a half before it would pull like I thought it should, but I have Hypereutectic pistons & I didn't want my pistons in my pan:jester:

well...im gonna get the 255, I dont have an adjustable FPR, so Im gonna buy me another set of autolite 24's and gap them down to .035 and to some test runs, pull em and snap some pics and post em to see what they look like. This will be early spring I hope.

MSTANG said:
I agree with Rick...I used nitrous awhile back & I listened to everyone with thier tune suggestions & it kept me "safe" but it was running pig rich & back firing.

I'd start with 8* of timing a 255lph pump & some extra FP to cover your butt.
Read the plugs after every run (I did this in an industrial park that's empty).Run it, shut it off right after the run (I killed it after the run & coasted to a stop), than pull the plugs & see what they look like & go from there.

For a 100 shot I ended up with 10* of timing 42#'s of FP with a 190lph...but start safe & whittle it down until you get it right... took me about a bottle & a half before it would pull like I thought it should, but I have Hypereutectic pistons & I didn't want my pistons in my pan:jester:
why not buy an A/F gauge?