haed/intake questions

i decided to take the heads off my boss and to a machine shop. i took off the intake today, heads tomorrow. here's what i found so far...

intake gasket pretty much fell apart when i removed intake.

intake bolts rusted badly on shanks and threads. definetly need new ones, parts places have these?

thermo housing rusted very badly. what are my options for replacing this? can i use a 351c?

pushrods-some have about an 1/8th" play up and down and rotate freely, but about 6 have no play and won't move at all, is this normal?

can i buy new rods? i know i am supposed to keep track of the order of the old ones for re-assembly. if i get new ones, can i just throw them in any old hole?

i can just drop the heads off at the local machine shop, tell them they are off a boss 302 and they can fix them with no more input from me, right? i hope so because i don't know nuthin. i was going to ask for hardened seats and 3 angles.

thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

pushrods-some have about an 1/8th" play up and down and rotate freely, but about 6 have no play and won't move at all, is this normal?
If you are checking pushrods without rotating the crankshaft, yes. This is because some are under load, while the others are not.

If the Boss has a solid lifter camshaft, then end play with the push rods is normal. Solid lifters are adjusted with a valve lash of .050 (??? I think). You shouldn't need new pushrods unless they are bent. You should try to keem them with the same intake/exhaust valve but it is not nearly as important as lifters. If you remove the lifters, it is critical to keep them associated with the same lobes.

charlies said:
intake bolts rusted badly on shanks and threads. definetly need new ones, parts places have these?

thermo housing rusted very badly. what are my options for replacing this? can i use a 351c?

can i buy new rods? i know i am supposed to keep track of the order of the old ones for re-assembly. if i get new ones, can i just throw them in any old hole?

i can just drop the heads off at the local machine shop, tell them they are off a boss 302 and they can fix them with no more input from me, right? i hope so because i don't know nuthin. i was going to ask for hardened seats and 3 angles.

thanks!
66P51GT is correct in that the Bosses had solid cams, but the lash ( this is the clearance between the rocker tip and valve tip) is .020 or was it cold? New bolts are available from the Classic Stang suppliers. The T'Stat housing is the same as the reg 302's I wouldn't just drop those heads off at just any old machine shop, ask around for the best. Those heads are very expensive they run around $450 bare each. You don't want some inexperienced kid working on them, you want someone who appreciates and knows their value. Unless you've spun a rod bearing or had other damage to the rods, leave em be, they were one of the best small block rods made. Only the latest aftermarket rods will equal them in terms of strength and rpm capability. You are correct about putting them back in the hole they came from, but they and the pistons also need to be installed in the correct oreintation too #'s side for the rod/cap out facing outside and the piston notches facing the front.

Unless you've spun a rod bearing or had other damage to the rods, leave em be, they were one of the best small block rods made. Only the latest aftermarket rods will equal them in terms of strength and rpm capability.
A little bird told me that the only difference between Boss rods and stock rods are larger rod bolts. However, you have to consider the little bird could have been in the CooCoo's nest :).

Don't take this the wrong way Charlie, but if you're asking these type of questions it may be better off for you to have someone else do the remove/install work. Otherwise you may be in for an expensive ride.

The Boss rods were basically the 289 Hi-po forging with spot faced bolt cuts instead of the square faced on the 289 Hi-po rods. Bolts were 3/8 which are too large for the std 302 forging.They're the 289 length ( 5.155) vs the std 302 rod ( 5.095)

gp001 said:
Don't take this the wrong way Charlie, but if you're asking these type of questions it may be better off for you to have someone else do the remove/install work.

please gp, i have thicker skin than that! but i have replaced a head gasket before. all by my lonesome little self! i've only done it once though and it was many, many years ago, i remember very little about it.