HALO HEAD RESTS

MustangOwner

Banned
Dec 13, 2006
Hi, does anybody know anything about halo headrests in the 1991 style seats. People say that the post is larger then the factory one so you have to reach inside the seat and remove a black clip? anybody done this before?

• Sponsors (?)

To remove any headrests on fox cars, you'll have to reach up inside the upper sear and pry out the clip. It's very simple to do. All you'll need is a long flathead and some patience at first. Unzip the factory seat cover and from the back, put your arm inside and feel around for the shaft. Towards the bottum of it, you should be able to detect the clip. Take your flathead and pry out the clip with one arm and use the other to pull up on the headrest.

I used a verry small screw driver and it's on the front side of the upper part of the seat....Or you can push a hack saw blade down on the front side of the headrest post and pull up on the headrest. I did this to mine last year. The first one took about 20 min and the second one took less than 1 min once I knew what I was feeling for lol.

It takes me 45 seconds a seat and i use a house key.. And to snswer your question.. There is a black plastic piece in the top of the seat.. Thats all that has to be removed for the post to fit in.. :nice:

I like mine

2240366_110_full.jpg

Roland69's halo headrests look sweet. So all you do is reach up from under the seat and pop the old ones out. then they just slide right in? some people are saying you have to remove the black plastic piece on top of your seat? How and doesnt that hold some seat fabric together?

This is how I have done it. Doesn't wreck anything and you don't have to pull the seat apart to do it.

1. Get yourself a hacksaw blade.

2. Pull the headrest up with a little force.

3. Push the hacksaw blade down the backside of the bar that attaches to the headrest until you feel it hit something. You shouldn't be able to push it down any further. While you are doing this make sure you are still pulling up on the headrest.

4. At the same time.....push the headrest down and the hacksaw blade down. The hacksaw blade should go down further now. If you don't get it the first time keep repeating step 3 until you get the hacksaw blade to go further down.

5. At this point you have pushed the hacksaw blade past the clip that goes into the notch on the bar attached to the headrest.

6. At the same time, pull the headrest and the hacksaw blade up and they should both come out of the seat.

First time I did it, it took me about 5 tries to get it so do not get frustrated. Once you know what you are doing, you can get them off in a matter of seconds.

The black plastic piece that goes around the old headrest's bar will not fit on the halos. Push the new halos down and you will feel the click when it is down far enough.

Hope this helps.

Alright thanks alot. Thanks everbody for the help. 87 ttop. i wish my car had ttops ha. my neighbor has a 85 with ttops. I wonder if anybody has every put ttops in a 89 and up. Using stock parts and stuff. Buy the doors and roof and panels. so on?

I helped my Dad cut the roof off my Friends 89 Camaro and weld a new one on with T-top's... if you remove the paint you can see the seam where they bronzed the roof on the Camaro and that's where we cut both roofs and welded the new one on..took about 2 days including painting the top's of the doors and up. Every thing lookek even and didn't leak and nobody could even tell it was swapped then he got T-boned and wrote the car off about 3 weeks later.