Hanging idle problem

madmatt

Ellis Juan sympathizer
Founding Member
Dec 28, 2002
Lexington, SC
Heres the symptoms, after driving about 15-20 miles, once the car is heated up, when I come to a stop, clutch in, my idle will hang around 1800-3000. Ive replaced the IAC already, so its not that. Could it perhaps be a TPS sensor? I appreciate the help.

• Sponsors (?)

Well mine did the same thing, took the IAC off and hosed it down. 1st time didn't really notice and improvement. 2nd time I went wild with the cleaner, and guess what has worked great since.
If you have an aftermarket TB. check and verify blade isn't hanging on the plenum.

Theres also a TSB out for this, if the car appears mostly stock in the engine bay and you don't have a custom tune, go to Ford and get the new software.

Mine does this sometimes, seems to go away with PCM reset. Be sure and let the car re-learn the fuel trims properly. Refer to owner's manual for details.

Would not hurt to SeaFoam and tune up also if it has been a while...

I had this same issue - drove me crazy. I took out the IAC restrictor plate and it helped a bit. I had the gasket on backwards or something and it fixed the hanging idle I had about 1800rpms. Don't buy a TPS, I highly doubt it's that - Plus besides wasting the $40, it was a pain to get that thing off because the factory decided to use screws & a sealant instead of bolts...

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=660273

Initially it was the restrictor plate I had, but I remember I took the IAC off again or something and I still had the problem, turned out to be the gasket between the IAC & plenum. (but the restrictor plate still causes the problem... time for some seafoam??)

Update: Resetting the ECM didnt do anything for it. Im going to see if the gasket is one backwards. Im scared to seafoam the car with this many miles on it, I would be PISSED if I seafoamed this car and it started burning some oil...What is the restrictor plate you speak of?