Hard 1-2 Shift In Stop And Go Traffic

noiseguy

15 Year Member
Jul 27, 2012
Have issue on my 2013 V6 automatic that's driving me nuts. Car has ~38000 miles, noticed it in last year or so.

Hard 1-2 shift in stop and go traffic. Feels like you've been rear-ended... happens as car shifts from 1-2 at ~1500 RPM at 10 MPH in slowly restarting interstate traffic, or rolling around a parking lot (slowly.)

Less noticable in normal stop and go where the 1-2 shift is happening at higher RPMs / higher torque and there's a better launch, but you can still feel it... it's a very positive shift.

Anyone else have this issue? What are the fixes? This is the kind of non-specific stuff I hate to drag car to mechanic over.

• Sponsors (?)

Dealership has been a PIA to deal with on this. The transmission guy is only in on weekends once every 3 weeks and it hasn't lined up to my schedule yet.
I'd take it to a different dealership then. Drive a couple of hours if you have to. You paid for Fords warranty and expertise when you bought the car. Might as well take advantage of it. Any reply you get on here is going to be best guess. You need it hooked up to a scanner and inspected in person if you want it properly diagnosed.

Car went to dealership on a walk-home failure, throttle body toast. They're looking at transmission now along with throttle body.

Get this: Throttle body is not considered a power train failure, so Ford is refusing to honor the 5yr/60K mile warranty and I get to pay out of pocket on it. Car's several months and 2K miles over bumper to bumper warranty. Not pleased.

That's lousy to hear man. I've sent a request to @FordCustSrvc for Deysha or Mariel to contact you regarding this issue. They've been helpful in the past with members regarding "grey area" issues such as this. You can also try contacting the Customer Relationship Center at at 1-800-392-3673.

I commute to NYC from LI daily which is between 70-80 miles round trip. I am regularly in bumper to bumper in my 2013 v6. I have been having the same exact issue where the car feels like it jumps from 1st to 2nd gear at 5-10mph. This doesn't happen when I'm driving regularly outside of bumper to bumper. What did you end up doing to fix this??

That's lousy to hear man. I've sent a request to @FordCustSrvc for Deysha or Mariel to contact you regarding this issue. They've been helpful in the past with members regarding "grey area" issues such as this. You can also try contacting the Customer Relationship Center at at 1-800-392-3673.

I commute to NYC from LI daily which is between 70-80 miles round trip. I am regularly in bumper to bumper in my 2013 v6. I have been having the same exact issue where the car feels like it jumps from 1st to 2nd gear at 5-10mph. This doesn't happen when I'm driving regularly outside of bumper to bumper. What did you end up doing to fix this??

TB's are covered by 3/36 warranty only, or certain ESP policies. There are a couple concerns that can cause the symptoms you guys are experiencing. Slight fluid leak from front pump seal, or valve body can use an overhaul, or clutches and steals are starting to wear out.

Grabber if you have warranty policies on your Mustang I'm the assistant service manager at Ford Lincoln of Huntington. We usually have a 2-3 day turn around and transmissions overhauls if you can arrange alternate transport to work.

Thanks for the reply. When you say TB... Do you mean throttle body? My mustang is an automatic so I'm not sure about clutch.

Unfortunately I don't have a warranty anymore. I have about 66500k on the car but I do 17k to 20k a year. How much would it cost to repair the issues you mentioned?

Thanks for the reply. When you say TB... Do you mean throttle body? My mustang is an automatic so I'm not sure about clutch.

Unfortunately I don't have a warranty anymore. I have about 66500k on the car but I do 17k to 20k a year. How much would it cost to repair the issues you mentioned?
An automatic transmission has multiple clutch packs inside.

As far as costs on the variety of services listed by @SpartaPerformance , that will vary by shop depending on what they bill for parts and labor and how they go about fixing the issues at hand. For example, worn clutch packs in a transmission could be fixed with a complete rebuild, a replacement with a new, used, or remanufactured transmission, or in certain situations, just the replacement of worn out parts and the drained fluid (I've seen that level of bull:poo: with transmissions being serviced either under GM's factory warranty or certain cheap aftermarket warranties), all of which would have wildly different total costs involved.

It all depends on what the exact cause is, valve body overhaul would be fa cheaper then the other two cases because the it can be done with the transmission still in vehicle. If you like I can a price on complete overhaul and it turns out its something less expensive then you're ahead of the game.

If my automatic was doing this, I would be checking on which solenoid on the transmission controls the 1-2 shifts. From what little I know, we have solenoids (2 maybe up to 5, just a guess) that control the shifts. I have read in the past about people having a shift solenoid replaced to fix their shifting problems :)