Hard to start, rough idle, battery light

m0squ1t0

Feb 3, 2011
I have a 2001 Mustang GT Conv. I went out this morning and the car wouldn't start I would turn the key and as soon as I let go, it died. Checked the battery connections, they were fine, a little corrosion so I cleaned them and reattched the connectors. This did nothing, I noticed that the radio and lights would come on though. So while it wouldn't start, it would get power, but the battery light is on. Swapped batteries from another vehicle and nothing changed. Put mine back in and kept trying to start it, it eventually started but had a bouncy idle going to 500rpm at the highest and when I would rev it to 1000 rpm the release it, it would drop to 0 and die. I noticed when I turn off the AC it will idle steady at 500, though still not as smooth as it has been. I was told it may be the alternator. Any and all help with this is great appreciated. Thank you.

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like an alternator but i would look further into it, the battery just starts the car, after that the alternator keep it running, get the car idling then unplug the battery, if the car dies then its definetly the alternator because the alternator runs the car.

That works on our cars? I was going to do that this morning and my buddy said that on our cars if we unplug the battery the car would just die, maybe I shouldve just kept with my gut feeling and did it anyway. Awesome, lets see some more responses.

Yeah... sounds like an alternator...

Sorry about the wife man. Just remember... “When two people decide to get a divorce, it isn't a sign that they "don't understand" one another, but a sign that they have, at last, begun to.” - Helen Rowland...

I think it was the connection. I got home last night and it started right up. No shakes or anything. I drove it around town today and all was well. That's one less headache. Thanks guys!

You could check the charge voltage to be sure it should be around 14VDC and when you start it up it should not drop too much maybe around 11V min if if drops below that it could be a sign of a bad Alternator or Battery.

Sorry to hear about the wife thing! more 0-60 without the wife moaning at least! good luck mate..