Fox Harmonic balancer questions

• Thread starter Deleted member 215073
  • Start date
I have the installer so I used it. I saw videos of people using a 2x4 and a hammer to install them and i cringed.

My dad had a saying that I have never forgotten...... he used to say “use the right tool for the job, but start with the one on top of your shoulders”. He definitely taught me to think things through before diving in!!

• Sponsors (?)

The vibration at idle and past 4000rpm is gone. My balancer didn't even look bad, but it had a noticeable wobble. If in doubt, just replace it, way cheaper than a motor.

Reactions: 1 users
I have the installer so I used it. I saw videos of people using a 2x4 and a hammer to install them and i cringed.

Glad it all worked out and your vibration is gone. Glad you used the installer as well. When it's a free rental tool at Advance, it is just stupid not to use it.

Kurt

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
I just looked through my Ford Mustang service manual (actual Ford manual) and it says to apply silicone sealant to the keyway as well.

20190910_195206.jpg
Mine just started leaking coolant today.
The equivalent of this page in my '88 service manual is page 21-21-21
The instruction are on 21-21-20, paragraph 11.

It's the water pump shaft seal.
It's the original pump.
When the balancer is out, will apply sealant as specified.

Last edited:
I have a small , but heavy feeling vibration thru my car, When I rev the engine , and when I get on it. When I say heavy also could be considered small but sharp. I have an old balancer. Looks ok I guess , but it seems out of round because of that weight on the side. I have I list of things I want , but a budget for one thing. I dont want a destroyed bottom end. What do you think the possibility is that the balancer is the problem. Using this older post because we dont need any more.

I have a small , but heavy feeling vibration thru my car, When I rev the engine , and when I get on it. When I say heavy also could be considered small but sharp. I have an old balancer. Looks ok I guess , but it seems out of round because of that weight on the side. I have I list of things I want , but a budget for one thing. I dont want a destroyed bottom end. What do you think the possibility is that the balancer is the problem. Using this older post because we dont need any more.
By out of round do you mean that it wobbles?

I just put my finger on side of the f...kn thing and its off one eighth of an inch. It wobbles , so whats the story. Dont drive it. Sounds like a stupid question , but how does the ring get bent could be off quarter inch... Drive or no drive

I replaced mine and my vibration went away. It didn't look bad either, but comparing it to the new one the outer ring had spun about 10°. It doesn't sound like much but it made a difference. If in doubt, replace it. It's pretty easy to do and cheap insurance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
I just put my finger on side of the f...kn thing and its off one eighth of an inch. It wobbles , so whats the story. Dont drive it. Sounds like a stupid question , but how does the ring get bent could be off quarter inch... Drive or no drive
No, definitely don’t drive it before replacing the balancer. Unless you like your mains getting hammered on.

I just put a new balancer in. Used my Harbor Freight wheel puller. Popped new one in the oven. As seen here . Slid it on like nothing , after dab of black stuff on the key. No more vibration and less jumpiness. Really happy with this fix. Old one was falling apart.

Where you thinking that Its not right like I was. Thats a lot of pressure on the small key. I got mine on Amazon for $46.00 . Made in China , but so is Dorman. Mine is the exact same as oem. I dont have $100.00 right now. I really cant get over how much the car just feels newer.

No, you're OK. Just a small tolerance difference & it won't slide on. For example: if replacing more than one item that attaches to other items & the tolerances of the parts are all towards the plus or all towards the minus, you will have a tolerance stack-up problem. Happened to me with my e-fan, it wouldn't fit any more after new timing chain cover, water pump, radiator. The difference was about 0.125 in