Harris Speed Works nitrous, other nitrous questions.

BurningRubber

10 Year Member
Dec 6, 2004
Allright guys, im getting the itch. I was never a fan of nitrous, blinded by all the "horror" stories and such, untill a buddy of mine got a kit for his GT.

Once I rode in it and felt how bad ass it was, and the fact his car has not spontaniously combusted yet.. turned me to looking into a kit.

I dont have a crap load of money to spend on one, this is why im looking at the Harris Speed Works wet kit, looking to only run a 100 shot.

It seems that they are fairly well known in the GM crowd, and im wondering if anyone has any feedback on this kit.

Here is the link...http://www.harrisspeedworks.com/shop...cat=364&page=1

As far as other stuff goes... the stock fuel system as long as its up to par is ok for a 100 shot?

1 step colder plugs?

Is a tune NEEDED or should being on the dyno to check the AF ratio good enough so long as its not lean? What is a reccomended AF ratio for a setup like this? I have a Diablosport Predator right now, would it be safe to run this also to back the timing down (how much?) and adjust for fuel if neccecery?

The kit comes with a WOT switch, but should I also invest in a window switch and even a fuel pressure saftey switch?

This company also sells a purge kit for $60... is this neccecery also or just a good thing to have to keep the lines cleared?

Are there any other key factors im missing? Im looking just to get the best bang for the buck, bolt ons only did so much for me...

Any advice is great, thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

That looks to be a decent kit to me. I went with the NOS kit. However if I had it to do over I would have got the NX kit. If youre going to do it. Do it right the first time. Find out if that kits horsepower is rated at the flywheel or the rear wheels. NX is rated at the rear wheels and they are reported to have the best parts of any kit. FWIW I have had zero problems with my NOS kit. I would definetely go with a wet kit.

1 step colder plugs are a must.

Your stock fuel system should be sufficient at below 125 rwhp.

Most cars do not need a tune at 125rwhp or below however I do know of one that was getting a lean spike bad enough that facilitated the need for more fuel. He went with a focus pump but probably could have gotten away with a KB Boost- A-Pump. At any rate either way you should certainly put it on a dyno and check your A/F. It worth the money and you will get to see exactly what nitrous is capable of on paper with no guessing.

If you have a five speed I would highly recommend a window switch. I dont think its needed for the lower end of the window but you want one in the event you miss a shift with the nitrous engaged. Redlining with nitrous on is obviously not a good thing.

Purge valve is not necessary unless you are a drag racer and milliseconds count. Outside of that its just for show. I dont have one.

I have run countless bottles through mine and its never pinged or knocked once and doesnt leak any oil. I have 40K miles with the nitrous installed. The only complaint I have is filling bottles.

As for your diablo I run the stock timing when I am spraying and when I dont have nitrous I just max it out. This is for both rpm ranges. I did run it with maxed timing once with 93 octane and two bottles of Torco additive. It didnt ping or knock at all but it sure did give alot more power. I havnt had the balls (stupidity) to try that one again though. It did win me that particular race and $100 though. :shrug: I am putting down about 90-110 hp difference from when on the spray through an auto. Its still not enough.

The kit is rated at the rear wheels like NX. I like their kits, and have heard nothing but great stuff. I just dont have the money to spend on one of their kits and then buy additional stuff. I know its important to do it right the first time, but I plan on talking with this company before anything is purchased to see what they have to say...

Thanks for the help.

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I just recently installed a Harris Speedworks wet nitrous kit on my car. The price is great and the quality is good as well! The solenoids are a little small, but none the less they operate flawlessly. I would also recommend getting a set of NGK TR6 spark plugs, they are 1 heat range colder than stock. So far with a 100 shot, I have ran a 13.03 @ 108.8 mph without a window switch and a fairly soft launch. With the 75 shot, I went 13.33 @ 106.2 mph. Off the bottle I have ran as quick as a 13.55 @ 101.8 mph.

In a nutshell, I would recommend Harris Speedworks nitrous kits to anyone!