Has anyone ever had a stock motor tuned?

94-302-vert

Aug 16, 2004
NE CT
Any improvement? I am thinking that if I have to start putting $$ into my car to pass emissions I should jsut get tuned without the EGR. It shoule be possible to tune it without the EGR working and pass right?

• Sponsors (?)

I can tell you that if your car is stock you can get a mail order SCT chip that will help you with some things.........go to lasotaracing.com............he is on this site as Don95Vert and I highly recommend his work....Don and his son have taken care of me a couple of times...

94-302-vert said:
Any improvement? I am thinking that if I have to start putting $$ into my car to pass emissions I should jsut get tuned without the EGR. It shoule be possible to tune it without the EGR working and pass right?

I have all emissions equipment and all of it is in proper working order.

Been like that since 1997 when I got the car.

It has passed every year under those conditions ..........
except
last year when I forgot to re-enable the egr with my Tweecer and throw a switch I use to output egr or wide band to the pcm.

Last year, with the egr totally inoperative, I still passed with very clean results.

So ...... YES ... you technically could pass with no egr.
If you got it capped or have it omitted with a plate or something like that, you might fail a visual part of the inspection.

As for a tune on a stock Stang ...............

Your Q seems to be focused on max power but the bulk of this thread appears to be focused on drivability :shrug:

Max Power First :)

Don't know if my efforts would be considered as tune to you
and
My first tuning efforts were not exactly on a Stock Stang
but
I had a mild combo of self ported E7's/oem intake, shorties, and a few bolt ons.

Optimizing spark/fuel tables and killing the tip in retard made a difference that could be definitely felt.

Now for Drivability :)

I really did not have any issues with that little combo ..............

I was still using oem cam, maf, inj's and the like
which means
not too much there to throw the pcm a lotta curves
however
sure ... you could use a tune to disable the egr if you wish.

Grady

In CT they record the session to make sure that it is the prrohcile on the rollers... otherwise i would pass my truck off as being my mustang... :)

So no amount of bribe $$ will take care of it.

I thought about getting it tuned and having a tune for emissions and one for power/drivability.... wonder how much extra they charge for that... ?

at this point i am hoping to get the EGR plumbed back in tonight so I can maybe get it checked on Saturday mornign...