Has AnyOne Hit 200mph W/00-04 GT

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you want the advice, before you turn the 1st wrench, go out to the salt flats or dry lakes when they're having a sanctioned event. Talk to the other drivers, photograph and video their cars, particularly the undercarriages, suspension and aerodynamic mods. If you're mechanically pretty savvy, you could even try to volunteer to help crew for someone, and pick up a lot of real-world advice and tips from them.

I think you're going to find, in order to do it right (read - safely), you'd be better off starting with a body in white, and cutting on that, rather than your driver car.

Just another opinion...

Jerry

• Sponsors (?)

spayne44 said:
Something to think about...

as a general rule of thumb, as speed doubles, the force of wind resistance or air resistance or whatever you wanna call it, increases by 4 fold. So stick your hand out the window when your going 100mph and then imagine that force four times greater as it would be when traveling around 200mph.

I am an engineering major
Oh...My....God - I never thought of that. Thank you for that valuable insight. I'm sure glad we have an engineering major here on StangNet.

CRZYHRSGT said:
695005_19_full.jpg

Carrera GT:
68deg V-10, 5.7 L
605 hp (sae) @ 8,000 rpm
435 lb-ft @ 5,750 rpm
coefficient of drag .39

Saleen S7:
90deg V-8 (Ford powered), 7.0 L, twin-turbo
750 bhp @ 6,300 rpm
700 lb-ft @ 4,800 rpm
coefficient of drag *undisclosed*

Get close to these specs and you should be okay :nice:
Screw that - you don't need to get exotic.
2003 MUSTANG COBRA
614 RWHP, 612 LBS. TORQUE
BONNEVILLE LAND SPEED RECORD HOLDER @ 203.231MPH
983mustang.jpg

Don't even think about stepping on it if you bumped into him at a set of lights or just kiss your @ss goodbye :rlaugh:

does anyone know what they did to the car to get 614 RWHP? looks like they added a role cage, and lots of stickers for max wind resistance :D

oh! apparently the S7 drives like a POS :notnice: give me a Ford GT instead :nice:

hotdog71 said:
Don't even think about stepping on it if you bumped into him at a set of lights or just kiss your @ss goodbye :rlaugh:

does anyone know what they did to the car to get 614 RWHP? looks like they added a role cage, and lots of stickers for max wind resistance :D

oh! apparently the S7 drives like a POS :notnice: give me a Ford GT instead :nice:

Yea, the S7 is one of those cars that you have to fold yourself up like a Swiss Army knife in order to get in and it rides like a go-kart. Visibility sucks and when you're looking for a smooth carbon fiber under body just drive behind one of these puppys when they go over a sppeed bump (4 inch ground clearance). Short of that, tho the thing is bad and INCREDIBLY fast.

CaliLifeStyle said:
All the exotics suck at everyday street driving not just the S7. Do you think the Ferrari Enzo could take a speed bump or pothole well? All those cars are hardly driven anyways. :nonono:

True, about the only 200+ mph cars that are street-able are the Carrera GT and Ford GT. We have a customer at work that traded in his Ferrari 456GT for a Carrera GT as his daily driver. Back in Feb. he came in to pick up his Aston DB7 and he dropped off his GT with salt and crap all over it. I about cried! The guy that bought an Enzo from us clocked about 1,000 miles on it and now it sits in his personal museum next to his F40, F50 and about 2 dozen other rare exotics and race cars.
Now, when you look at that pic of the Cobra on the salt flats it also sits pretty darn low. I doubt very seriously that this car sees many traffic lights or potholes either. Once you get your car set up (or down, as it were) for this kind of performance you're gonna be compromising it's usefullness for other things.

CRZYHRSGT said:
True, about the only 200+ mph cars that are street-able are the Carrera GT and Ford GT. We have a customer at work that traded in his Ferrari 456GT for a Carrera GT as his daily driver. Back in Feb. he came in to pick up his Aston DB7 and he dropped off his GT with salt and crap all over it. I about cried! The guy that bought an Enzo from us clocked about 1,000 miles on it and now it sits in his personal museum next to his F40, F50 and about 2 dozen other rare exotics and race cars.

Those people like throwing away money huh? What a waste of a Ferrari. He paid half a mil to have it sit there. :nonono:

CRZYHRSGT said:
Now, when you look at that pic of the Cobra on the salt flats it also sits pretty darn low. I doubt very seriously that this car sees many traffic lights or potholes either. Once you get your car set up (or down, as it were) for this kind of performance you're gonna be compromising it's usefullness for other things.
Not true - after his record setting runs and switching out wheels/tires (and removing the parachute!), he and his wife continued on their vacation thru the midwest. The last time this Cobra went to the salt flats, it was driven from GA to NV and back.

I seen a daily drivin cobra today that breaks the 200 mark,i dropped my car off at jdm enginerring in nj,and there she sat blue in color and pretty dam stock looking 700 rwhp daily driver yes indeed!!!

I once hit 200 in my 2000 V6!! It was awesome man!!! My cousin's, friend's brother's, uncle's, old Air Force buddy got me an about to be decomisioned JATO rocket and I slapped it to the roof of my car just like the story we've all heard and like they did on Myth Busters! Let em tell you it was hella fast!! After i was all over, I dropped the JATO roadside and drove 2000 miles on my way home back in NY.

:rolleyes:

twogts4us said:
Not true - after his record setting runs and switching out wheels/tires (and removing the parachute!), he and his wife continued on their vacation thru the midwest. The last time this Cobra went to the salt flats, it was driven from GA to NV and back.

So they've got enough trunk space in an '03 Cobra for 2 suitcases, a set of wheels and tires and a parachute? So there's a Deluxe package, a Premium package and a Town Car trunk package? :shrug:
What I was getting at was with the lower stance of the car you will no longer be able to do normal things like drive over the speed bumps in front of Wal-Mart or your average neighborhood for that matter. Plus, once you reach that kind of hp your fuel economy goes out the window. I know that Mustangs are no hybrid by any means, but the S7 and the Carrera GT that I mentioned before both get 9/16 mpg from the factory(as per ye olde EPA). I don't know about where where you are but yesterday I paid $2.51 for 93 octane to which I got 23 mpg. Cut that mileage in half and that's what I call a compromise. That and I have driven from GA to the West and I'm pretty sure that once you get in states like OK, KS and NV there are some pretty big stretches of road with not very many gas stations. It would be pretty hard to keep fuel in a thirsty dog like that one out there.

CRZYHRSGT said:
So they've got enough trunk space in an '03 Cobra for 2 suitcases, a set of wheels and tires and a parachute? So there's a Deluxe package, a Premium package and a Town Car trunk package? :shrug:
What I was getting at was with the lower stance of the car you will no longer be able to do normal things like drive over the speed bumps in front of Wal-Mart or your average neighborhood for that matter. Plus, once you reach that kind of hp your fuel economy goes out the window. I know that Mustangs are no hybrid by any means, but the S7 and the Carrera GT that I mentioned before both get 9/16 mpg from the factory(as per ye olde EPA). I don't know about where where you are but yesterday I paid $2.51 for 93 octane to which I got 23 mpg. Cut that mileage in half and that's what I call a compromise. That and I have driven from GA to the West and I'm pretty sure that once you get in states like OK, KS and NV there are some pretty big stretches of road with not very many gas stations. It would be pretty hard to keep fuel in a thirsty dog like that one out there.

6th gear and stay out of full boost. :shrug:

twogts4us said:
Gotta correct myself - the salt flats are in Utah! :bang:

CRZYHRSGT said:
Do you think asking stupid rhetorical questions impresses me (or others)? Do you think it just might be possible that they shipped the rims and tires to Utah, then shipped 'em back home? I honestly don't know what they did with the tires/rims, parachute and whatever else they might have brought out to the flats to make this run. Does that make it less believable?
CRZYHRSGT said:
What I was getting at was with the lower stance of the car you will no longer be able to do normal things like drive over the speed bumps in front of Wal-Mart or your average neighborhood for that matter.
Do you really think it's that low? OK, it's a bit lower than your typical lowered street driven stang, but it's certainly not slammed. It's equipped with an Eibach suspension (as noted below...Eibach ad). Likely, this consists of Eibachs coil-overs which are adjustable (1"-3"). Do you think it just might be possible that they adjusted the suspension when they did the high speed runs, then adjusted it again for the rest of their trip(s)? Again, I honestly don't know what they did with the suspension when they made these runs. But you seem hell-bent on poking holes in the story, like it could never happen. Why?
CRZYHRSGT said:
Plus, once you reach that kind of hp your fuel economy goes out the window.
New paragraph, new argument. Is this another point you're trying to make to try to dispute my story?
CRZYHRSGT said:
I don't know about where where you are but yesterday I paid $2.51 for 93 octane to which I got 23 mpg. Cut that mileage in half and that's what I call a compromise.
As a matter of fact (though, you'll prbably try to dispute this as well) I paid exactly the same per gallon today. Sadly, I'm only getting about 17 MPG as most of my miles are in town, stop and go. With regard to "cut that mileage in half and that's what I call a compromise" - what compromise?...what do you mean by this? A compromise between what and what?
CRZYHRSGT said:
That and I have driven from GA to the West and I'm pretty sure that once you get in states like OK, KS and NV there are some pretty big stretches of road with not very many gas stations. It would be pretty hard to keep fuel in a thirsty dog like that one out there.
OK, enough is enough - Are you calling me a liar? :shrug:
Go back a few months, maybe a year and check out the big Eibach ads in '5.0 Mustang and Super Fords' magazine. I've got the May 04 issue in my hands right now. There you'll see this 03 Mustang Cobra. Here's the caption, word for word: "A street-legal, 2003 Mustang Cobra drove from Dawsonville, GA to Utah, and then right out onto the salt, where it set a new C/PS-class record of 176.516 mph. Then it drove right back to Georgia." This is, of course, with the old configuration, before the new record setting 203+ mph run. As far as the claim that he and his wife continued on their vacation thru the midwest after these 203+mph runs, should I find the source of this story as well?

twogts4us said:
Gotta correct myself - the salt flats are in Utah! :bang:

Do you think asking stupid rhetorical questions impresses me (or others)? Do you think it just might be possible that they shipped the rims and tires to Utah, then shipped 'em back home? I honestly don't know what they did with the tires/rims, parachute and whatever else they might have brought out to the flats to make this run. Does that make it less believable?

Do you really think it's that low? OK, it's a bit lower than your typical lowered street driven stang, but it's certainly not slammed. It's equipped with an Eibach suspension (as noted below...Eibach ad). Likely, this consists of Eibachs coil-overs which are adjustable (1"-3"). Do you think it just might be possible that they adjusted the suspension when they did the high speed runs, then adjusted it again for the rest of their trip(s)? Again, I honestly don't know what they did with the suspension when they made these runs. But you seem hell-bent on poking holes in the story, like it could never happen. Why?
New paragraph, new argument. Is this another point you're trying to make to try to dispute my story?
As a matter of fact (though, you'll prbably try to dispute this as well) I paid exactly the same per gallon today. Sadly, I'm only getting about 17 MPG as most of my miles are in town, stop and go. With regard to "cut that mileage in half and that's what I call a compromise" - what compromise?...what do you mean by this? A compromise between what and what?

OK, enough is enough - Are you calling me a liar? :shrug:
Go back a few months, maybe a year and check out the big Eibach ads in '5.0 Mustang and Super Fords' magazine. I've got the May 04 issue in my hands right now. There you'll see this 03 Mustang Cobra. Here's the caption, word for word: "A street-legal, 2003 Mustang Cobra drove from Dawsonville, GA to Utah, and then right out onto the salt, where it set a new C/PS-class record of 176.516 mph. Then it drove right back to Georgia." This is, of course, with the old configuration, before the new record setting 203+ mph run. As far as the claim that he and his wife continued on their vacation thru the midwest after these 203+mph runs, should I find the source of this story as well?

That was un-called for. I'll dig that issue out of my stacks sometime when I'm looking for another one to bash someone with.

1) My whole point was that I don't see how someone would/could drive a car set up like this over 2000 miles one way. It just doesn't seem practical. But what am I thinking...the 5.0 Bible said it happened, so it must be so.

2)I've got Eibach springs on stock dampeners and have to watch the speed bumps I go over. Sure, coil-overs may be adjustable, but back to factory ride height?

3)"New paragraph, new argument." Well, I didn't get along with my English teachers 15 years ago, why should I start now?

4)Why would I dispute how much you paid for a gallon of gas? Is this going from bashing to smarta$$? The compromise is practicality. If you're driving a car with enough mods to lay down 700 bhp to the wheels you wouldn't exactly be able to afford to drive it to work everyday, would you? Let alone the gas tank surviving a 2000+ mile drive out in the middle of nowhere without getting sucked dry.

Unless you are either the owner of that Cobra or the guy that wrote the article in that 1 year and 3 month old issue of '5.0' then you really need to cool out. The last I checked these forums are for help, fun and to sometimes voice your own opinion, not to go around bashing people because of something that you had nothing to do with.

as a chemical engineer, or atleast one that is a senior in college here are some quick calculations

I took the Cd from someone that said, .36 not sure if this is corect, also as you add a spoiler front and rear to keep the car on the ground this is going to go up.

Frontal area of the mustang was found at
http://www.stangnet.com/fr500/page4.html
22.9 square feet

the calculations were done at this page
http://www.bgsoflex.com/aero.html

the specs i used were
-coefficient of drag of .36, it rounded up to .4
-frontal area 22.9 sq ft
-temperature fo about 70 degrees, although i have a feeling the desrt is alot warmer
-barometric pressure 30 In Hg
-200 mph
-tire inflation of 35 psi, although i think you would need to run higher, for that speed and a tire that could handle that. indy cars run around 80 PSI, i believe
- vehcile weight about 3000 lbs
-I don't know the vehicle coefficient of frontal lift, although this just factors in, in how much upforce that you would get at that speed, i don't think it has an effect on the required HP

as a result you get
Computed Aerodynamic Horsepower Required is 441
Computed Rolling Horsepower Required is 151
Computed Frontal Lift Force is 176 Lbs.

so total required HP should be 441+151= 592 Hp not including an loses in the drivetrain.
http://www.bgsoflex.com/cgi-bin/pro...h=200&weight=3000.&tirepress=32.0&clift=0.075

so theres about what you are going to need for power, i am guessing about 20% more than that due to drivetrain losses.

JohnyD05 said:
as a chemical engineer, or atleast one that is a senior in college here are some quick calculations

I took the Cd from someone that said, .36 not sure if this is corect, also as you add a spoiler front and rear to keep the car on the ground this is going to go up.

Frontal area of the mustang was found at
http://www.stangnet.com/fr500/page4.html
22.9 square feet

the calculations were done at this page
http://www.bgsoflex.com/aero.html

the specs i used were
-coefficient of drag of .36, it rounded up to .4
-frontal area 22.9 sq ft
-temperature fo about 70 degrees, although i have a feeling the desrt is alot warmer
-barometric pressure 30 In Hg
-200 mph
-tire inflation of 35 psi, although i think you would need to run higher, for that speed and a tire that could handle that. indy cars run around 80 PSI, i believe
- vehcile weight about 3000 lbs
-I don't know the vehicle coefficient of frontal lift, although this just factors in, in how much upforce that you would get at that speed, i don't think it has an effect on the required HP

as a result you get
Computed Aerodynamic Horsepower Required is 441
Computed Rolling Horsepower Required is 151
Computed Frontal Lift Force is 176 Lbs.

so total required HP should be 441+151= 592 Hp not including an loses in the drivetrain.
http://www.bgsoflex.com/cgi-bin/pro...h=200&weight=3000.&tirepress=32.0&clift=0.075

so theres about what you are going to need for power, i am guessing about 20% more than that due to drivetrain losses.

Don't forget the engine needs to be able to turn the revs to make the target speed happen too.

tjm73 said:
Don't forget the engine needs to be able to turn the revs to make the target speed happen too.

with the stock 327 gears i think redline in 5th gear is about 205 mph, you can use a gear calulator to chheck this, i believe its on stock 245/45R17's you could change the tire size if u need more gear, assuming you have the power, i was just letting this guy know how much power he was going to need. althought i don't this a stock t-45 or 3650 could handle that much power in 5th gear. I am no expert though, this is just some basic calculations.

200 mph is crazy... sort of a death wish. If u had the chance of getting there i don't think you would be asking on here for advice as to what you need, but hey there are drag cars that hit 200 all the time. its doable, but not safely or cheaply. but hey to each there own, just do your reasearch before you plan on doing it. don't get the hp and go out in try it, i honestly think a stock mustang would fly at those speeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.