Has anyone noticed less power after car relearns....

v8thunder1

Dec 7, 2003
The few times Ive reset my computer on my car it feels like it has awesome power right after but then a few days later it feels like it loses power and responsivness. Anyone else notice this? Am I being anal?? My mods are just an 80mm C&l maf, k&n, and a flowmaster catback. Its a 99 GT.

• Sponsors (?)

YES, it's a well known phenomena and I Don't Know Exactly Why. I do know it has to do with where the EEC "starts" from on the fuel and timing tables and that the learning process is mainly for emissions purposes, so there goes performance. My car also consistantly loses power (5-8 hp) between the first and second dyno runs...stupid computer! The rule is Cobras gain hp as they warm up (maybe due to the knock sensor's ability to maximize timing, etc) and GT's lose power as they warm up (conservative settings due to no knock sensor). Maybe if I knew why I might be able to find a way to work around this. But there are so many variables and sensor readings that the EEC takes into account and secrecy about what it does and why I don't know if we'll ever know the full story.

If there are any EEC wizards reading this, can you please enlighten us? Any info or where to go to find it would be appreciated, Thanks.

v8thunder1 said:
The few times Ive reset my computer on my car it feels like it has awesome power right after but then a few days later it feels like it loses power and responsivness. Anyone else notice this? Am I being anal?? My mods are just an 80mm C&l maf, k&n, and a flowmaster catback. Its a 99 GT.

Some mods can temporarily make your car run rich which will produce slightly more power. As the adaptive strategy learns to compensate for the mods, your A/F ratio will go back to normal and you may lose power. :nice: