Has anyone solved the Chrome Water neck leak?

BlackFox5.0

Founding Member
Aug 7, 2000
Massachusetts
My water neck is leaking, and I need to fix it, I was thinking about putting in like a 200* T-stat for the winter, and with my 180* I have very little heat.

These water necks are infamous for leaking, Water if I used RTV instead of a gasket? The gasket that is on it now is all soaked all the way around the perimeter with coolant, I need to fix this as it is making a mess.....and I keep losing coolant

• Sponsors (?)

From what i've heard the reason that the chrome ones leak is because the chroming process slightly warps the metal. The only fix i would trust is either:

1) have the seal milled to make sure it's perfectly flat (you could probably do this by hand, even)

2) Don't use the chrome versions. Buy an aluminum one and polish it instead.

Well what I would do is get a stock aluminium one. Clean it up and polish it. The chrome ones corroide around the sealing surfaces. You could file the sealing surface but that would take the chrome off then use RTV with a gasket to insure a good seal. Do the same on the intake manifold.

Allen

This past summer I had to change my thermostat. I also use the FMS chrome water neck. It has the internal rubber o-ring instead of a gasket. I had a hard time getting it to not leak. The o-ring was kinda stretched and would not seal properly. I tried a normal gasket which also leaked. I finally fixed it by just using a ton of RTV high temp sealant. Dont be afraid to use too much. I put a huge bead all around the inside groove on the water neck and a bead around where it seals on the intake. Let the sealant harden up some then tighten it down and let it sit for 12-24 hours. Fixed mine. Good Luck.