Has anyone used a Hurst shifter and switched to a different shifter?

gnx547

Sep 26, 2006
My mustang has the Hurst Comp Plus shifter. The shifter is ok, is there a better shifter to buy? If so which shifter is better? I'm wondering if anyone here had a Hurst shifter and switched to a different shifter? If so, which shifter did you switch to?

• Sponsors (?)

SDC10007.jpg

SDC10008.jpg

MGW. If I ever own another vehicle other than a Mustang, even if daily driven and not performance-based, if MGW makes a shifter for it, consider it bought. I've driven stock-shifter Mustangs at work before, and the difference is so incredible - I don't see how any Mustang owner could NOT own an MGW. They're talked highly of for a damn good reason - it's because they're the best. Not best in my opinion, they're the flat-out best! :nice:

I have Hurst in mine and totally love it. Never have a problem with gears, Shifts super quick Never rattles, and is pretty short throw. And everyone who has tried mine out loves it compared to others like the steeda tri-ax. And others that rattle like hell as well. Dont know if mine is any different from other hurst shifters though. It has been in the car since 94. But car only has 30k miles too.

I have the hurst "billet plus," I think, and I am very happy with it. It uses the stock shift knob and boot. The handle that came with it was too short and didn't kick back far enough. In first gear my knuckles would hit the dash. I got some aluminum bushings from Steeda and used the stock shifter handle. This combo works really well. The bias springs are extremely strong and puls it into position for a hard 3rd gear upshift perfectly. It doesn't rattle or click, and feels very solid and precise.

I've driven a friend's '96 T45 Cobra with a Pro 5.0 shifter and I didn't like it at all. The shifts were so short throw that it sort of took the fun out of driving a manual, and it made a lot of noise. I've also driven another friend's '91 with a steeda and had to lean forward to catch 5th gear. This is a problem if you're tall and drive with the seat far back.

If I had to do it again I would probably go with the MGW, but I'm happy enough that I'll keep the Hurst until I have a real reason to switch. If you don't like your Hurst, make sure it has the right bias springs. Mine came with two sets, a high-force and low force pair. They are both installed together, but some people pull out the high force springs which makes it feel almost as bad as the stock shifter.