Has anyone used the Koni SPA1 shocks on their car?

Gael

Founding Member
Jan 26, 2002
Tucson, AZ
http://store.summitracing.com/partd...applid={C8F23382-6E30-4145-8095-6B3CC0C3C723}

kon-802650spai.jpg

I think I may buy these for my car, kinda costly at $80 each, but hopefully it'll be worthwhile. I like the adjustable aspect to them. I figure if I'm going to blow my T5, I might as well do it in style. I'm getting some Weld Draglites and I plan to buy some 26x9x15 Hoosier slicks and see what happens.

Koni's SPA1 drag-race shocks work differently than the 90/10 shocks you're probably used to seeing. Rather than letting the front rise quickly and stay up during launch, Koni's front shocks allow the front end to rise quickly, then settle down faster to reduce front-end drag and improve your ETs. These shocks have five settings to help you tune your chassis. Koni's rear shocks help keep your rear-end planted by stiffening up as you run over surface irregularities, minimizing rebound and keeping the tires on the track. These shocks are for drag-racing only; not for highway use.

Attachments

• kon-802650spai.jpg
    kon-802650spai.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 161
  • Sponsors (?)

HaveII said:
Sorry, Never used those shocks, but noticed that they "are not for highway" use" along with other drag shocks and I was curious as to why?
If I'm right, almost all race parts have that on them, it's just pretty much to cover them from lawsuits.

I know plenty of people who are running drag shocks on street driven cars though, and as far as I know they haven't had anything happen to them because of driving them on the street.

:shrug:

Gael said:
If I'm right, almost all race parts have that on them, it's just pretty much to cover them from lawsuits.

I know plenty of people who are running drag shocks on street driven cars though, and as far as I know they haven't had anything happen to them because of driving them on the street.

:shrug:

Cool, thanks for the reply. If you buy them be sure to post back what you think. Does anyone make a drag shock that will fit the back of a II?

Before you just buy a part that's listed as "race", be sure you know why they list it under "race". Some things can be run on the street, and others can't. Like with "race only" wheels, they have been lightened considerably, and bend easily. Some parts may wear out fast. I think the deal with front drag shocks is that it changes how the car drives considerably, the car doesn't take to turns very well because the shocks rebound quickly and compress slowly. From what I've heard, II's use 50/50 shocks in the rear from the factory, so just run some good KYB's.