Have a few questions about a transmission job...

sic91sleeper

Founding Member
Jun 9, 2002
Livermore, Ca
My overdrive on my AOD needs to be replaced. How hard of a task would this be to accomplish and do I need to drop the tranny? Do you need and special tools to do this? Also is their a kit that I can buy to fix the overdrive?

• Sponsors (?)

sic91sleeper said:
My overdrive on my AOD needs to be replaced. How hard of a task would this be to accomplish and do I need to drop the tranny? Do you need and special tools to do this? Also is their a kit that I can buy to fix the overdrive?

Most likely the overdrive band must be replaced, and yes, the trans must come out of the car. By the time this fails, you might as well do at least a basic overhaul.

You can certainly buy trans rebuild kits, however, unless you have some significant experience, and a lot of time, I would not recommend you do it.

I just had my transmission rebuilt for me, i had the exact same problem. Overdrive wouldn't work at all and it ended up being some drum in the tranny that needed replaced. Everything else was rebuilt too and it ended up being about 600 dollars. This was the first time I've taken out the tranny and putting back in was definitely a learning experience but right now i bet i could do it in half the time. I wouldn't try to rebuild it yourself unless you know what your doing. It will reallp help to have two people to take the tranny out and put it back in.

I have put two shift kits in AOD's and I am mechanically inclined but maybe i'll just take this job to a shop to have it done.

The transmission has 15,000 miles on it. 2,000 miles over the warranty from the dealer. I have driven it for a while with no overdrive because it really doesn't bother me much but I am now going to sell the car. If I don't get it fixed I don't think I will get as much as I could if it were fixed.

What do you guys think? Should I pay and have it fixed or sell it as is?

FIX IT...I wouldn't buy a car that had even a hint of AOD problems. My friend got a video outlining the rebuild process...it is 20 times more complicated than a shift kit. Not more difficult, necessarily, just more complicated.