Have an 87' Fox Mustang 302 High Output needing restoration, overall good condition.

My husband died back in March and left me with several vehicles (2 Sunbeam Convertibles 65 & 66, one a Tiger and one an Alpine; 4 Jeep Willy's 49 & 50, 3 Jeepsters and 1 hard top; a host of old trucks; and the 87 Mustang. Before he died, my husband planned to restore the Sunbeams (His & Hers), restore 1 Jeep Willy, and restore the Mustang. The Mustang's body is in good condition, needs minor repairs near front bumper and new paint. Interior good condition but needs reupholstery, a headliner, and carpet. The engine was running recently, needs cleaning and some minor issues, hoses and a wire harness that I already am aware of. Set of mags on vehicle need cleaning and 4 tires, obviously. My goal is to, hopefully, sell at a profit. His 3 kids are depending on me to increase value of his estate that they will inherit when I pass. When completed, the Mustang can be sold locally or trailered to Oklahoma or Texas Auctions.

I just don't know what to do and to what extent do I do it, and what costs I can expect. Can I make a profit and if so, HOW? If you were me, and I need to hire a restoration company, what level of restoration would you do and to command what sales price? What color paint? Should it have any detail work like the MustangFlame? I am at a loss. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Jeanne

• Sponsors (?)

None. Absolutely none. If you don't know anything about cars then you're spinning your wheels and are about to get taken for a ride.

(Two puns in one sentence. Might be a Stangnet record.)

Find a car appraiser in your area and have each car appraised for its present value. Sell those cars for that value. Trying to invest money into old cars to turn a profit takes resources and know-how. Finding somebody to do these things [for] you that is also trustworthy and has [your] best interest in mind is nothing but heartache in itself.

If you already knew somebody that possessed these skills and that you trusted, we would likely not be having this conversation right now.

Sell them as they are for what they're worth and let the new owner figure out how best to restore them.

There are quite a few folks in this forum with the skills to do the kinds of things you're talking about but here's the wrinkle: Almost all of them have more money into their cars than they are worth (myself included).

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
I agree with noobz, well he is the janitor after all and disagreeing with him has bad consequences.
I will add, talk to the kids and see if there is a particular vehicle they like and possibly want to keep, sell everything else and take a vacation.

• Agree
I'll third the suggestion of asking the kids if they want to keep one particular vehicle. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that your late husband (I'm sorry for your loss btw) was intending to get these to a point he could share them with his family. I'm also thinking that this was his passion, so he wanted to share it. So, to honor his intents and to pass along a piece of him, see if any of the kids wants one of them. If they're not interested, then I'd go the route that @Noobz347 suggested. Pouring money into cars is done so out of love, not so much for making a profit in most cases. Good luck with whatever choice you make - I know it's not an easy thing to do.

Reactions: 1 users
I have no clue about the other vehicles, but as far as the mustang is concerned, if you have to subcontract out for a restoration, you will not be able to recoup your money when the job is done. These cars just aren’t at the point where a full Resto nets you a profit.

best way to net a profit might be to sell it now. Otherwise you might dump $20k into a $5k car that you can then sell for $15k.

post some pics

• Agree
Thank you all for advice and honesty. I am not my husband. He had every skill needed to do his own restorations while I possess none of those skills or knowledge. I would definitely be taken. I will do as suggested and offer the boys first dibs on the vehicles and what they don't want, I will sell at current value. Thank you again. All of you have a wonderful Father's Day if applicable.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you all for advice and honesty. I am not my husband. He had every skill needed to do his own restorations while I possess none of those skills or knowledge. I would definitely be taken. I will do as suggested and offer the boys first dibs on the vehicles and what they don't want, I will sell at current value. Thank you again. All of you have a wonderful Father's Day if applicable.
I hope you have the best of luck.

It's people that are the soul of cars. Without your husband's memory, they were well... just cars. You get to keep the memories.

Be happy to share pics. Will download pics of all vehicles I'll be selling once I give them a quick clean up before posting in local classifieds. Only question remaining...is there a national place to post used antique autos for sale? I'm thinking more of the 49-50 Willys and 65-66 Sunbeams.

Be happy to share pics. Will download pics of all vehicles I'll be selling once I give them a quick clean up before posting in local classifieds. Only question remaining...is there a national place to post used antique autos for sale? I'm thinking more of the 49-50 Willys and 65-66 Sunbeams.
Sunbeams, especially Tigers, are very popular. I would suggest a search for Sunbeam Tiger and Sunbeam Alpine forums and see if they can offer any help.