having a hell of a time finding a good short/long block...can anyone help

carbed87

Jun 5, 2005
So i've been really looking my arse off for a nice short or long block and it just hasn't beed happening. I've tried the stangnet clasifieds, corral, ebay, craigs, all that stuff. i've email Rick 91 Gt (with no reply understandably) Faster 5.0, TREperformance....the list goes on lol. im looking for something mild with forged pistons that i could later stick juice or even a charger on. I'd like to have some nice heads to back it up as well, anywhere from ported stockers, to some nice alum. ones. My goal is to have a potent, streetable motor that i could use my stock fuel system with. I was just curious if there were any companies out there that you guys might know of. this isn't a WTB add or anything, im just looking for companies out there that might have what im looking for.

oh, and i checked dss, and chp and all those guys, and they're too expensive. i dont want to spend anymore then $2200 on a shortblock, and around $35-3800 on a long block.

any help would be awsome guys. thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

The forged internals is probably what is costing you the exrtra.
They really aren't 100% necessary.
I've seen people with 425rwhp on the FMS hyper 347, which just happens to cost $2200 built with the sportsman block.
Not going to handle a supercharger on top of that, but without a better block no well built 347 will, so what's the difference.

IMO, if you are going the cheaper route (which is ok), i'd just use a FMS cobra shorblock, and put your own heads and cam on it.
12,000 mile ford warranty usually.

Have you taken a look at P.A.W. (Performance Automotive Warehouse)? They usually have some decent shortblocks with forged pistons. You can mix and match a lot of different parts with them too. Unfortunetly they do not have an online catalog for your viewing pleasure but their catalog is huge!

P.A.W.

Good luck

hey what about this thing: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford...7QQihZ012QQcategoryZ33615QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

i could opt for forged pistons, and maybe a cam and call it good, i'd have a shortblock all set.

Just bought a 351 from them a while back and everything came in looking good. Haven't fired it up yet, but the prep work looked good. Can't hardly beat the price and a 12,000 mile warranty.
Should be running within a week or two.
By the by have you looked at an Advance or autozone shortblock? just curious........

I'd just find a stock longblock out of an '87-'91 mustang/lincoln lsc, and have it gone through. I found a 150K mile longblock out of an '87 mustang at a swap meet that I scooped up for $100 disassembled it, and had it hot-tanked, honed, and put back together with new main/rod/cam bearings as well as having arp rod bolts put in. Even with 150K hard miles (copper showing through on all rods and mains) the cylinder bores were still all within spec, and an overbore wasn't neccessary and I was able to just reuse the stock forged pistons. For $810 all of the machine work was done, new bearings, rings, galley plugs and freeze plugs were provided/installed, and the shop assembled the shortblock for me. Can't hardly beat that IMO. If you have decent machine shops in your area, I'm sure you could to the same.

could you link me to it, i couldn't find it on their website

If this was in reference to my post about the FMS (Ford Motorsport) engines, just call you local Ford motorsport dealer.

Alot of times buyfordracing.com has some of the best prices, but no prices are currently listed for their crate engines, so you may need to call.

The gt40x headed crate engine is very good. Gets a bad rep, because the heads are a bit on the "unrefined" side. But if you pull and have them valve jobbed, the springs seats set, and bowls cleaned up, you pick up some serious power. I think as of now it comes complete with oil pan, and even a new flywheel, along with water pump, basically everything except the intake up.