Having problems starting the car.

I have a 1995 Mustang GT and I am having problems with the car starting.The starter is turning over and the battery is strong.I will often times have to try and start the car three times, before it wll start.
I went to a mechanic and he said that the Mustang's of this time period are know to have that problem, but he did not know how to fix it.Needless to say, I am not going back.Do you guys have any idea, what I can do to get the car to start on the first try ?

• Sponsors (?)

First off you need to start with a fresh tune up with plugs, dist. cap, rotor and fuel filter. Also if your plug wires are stock or in bad shape change them too. If that doesn't fix the problem try pulling any codes in the computer and going from there. You may also want to check the fuel pressure with a guage and check for leakdown. If the fuel pump is factory then that's likely your problem if the tuneup doesn't fix it. Just a few of the common procedures will prob. fix it. At least it will start, so thats something you got going for ya.

does the fuel pump prime when you to the key to the "on" position???....did it whine execptionally loud the last time the car ran???? id say your best bet is a full tuneup....plugs,cap,rotor,PVC,plug wires,all filters,and clean the MAF(if you dont know how to do this its easy and someone here will be able to give your instructions).....all that will take care of many problems....and should be routine maintinence anyway :nice:

Anthony

My money is on the fuel pump...specially if it runs good tune wise....If it always starts by the 3rd time...Its the pump....Very common problem, its more aggravating than anything else....it'll always start, just likes to crank some....be there, had that for like 4 yrs...get the FP replaced..problem solved I bet...

I am having a similar problem with my 1991 5.0. I have gone through the cranks but does not start checklist to get where I am now. The fuel pump turns on when you turn on the key and NEVER shuts off. I have measured the fuel pressure at the schrader valve and it stays at 40 lbs.

Another anomally is the fact that two different TPS sensors are reading around 4.25 volts.

The car ran yesterday, but once again today it will not start.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

mr.p...Thats odd ????? Will start with fluid, but won't on its own???? sounds like a fuel delivery issue to the injectors??? Maybe you got some stank fuel or the like???

Had a prob couple months ago with both my lawnmowers...both would only start with starting fluid...W.T.F....come to find out....Junior filled the gas can with Kerosene for some parts cleaning....I topped of both mowers with that stuff....DOH.... :bang:

Yeah, once you get the initial start with the starting fluid, it will then start repeatedly on its own on just gas. I still have the issue with the fuel pump running continiously and the voltage irregularity on the TPS sensor.

Not to jump in on your post, but I'm having the same symptoms. Mine's the same year, and will not start at all. It started when I was driving and it started surging. Got it to the side of the road and it died. I replaced the ignition module, rotor, dis. cap, spark plug wires, spark plugs, ignition coil, fuel filter. Still won't start errrgg!!! My fuel pump is making that constant loud noise. I would replace it, but my luck that wouldn't be it either. It goes into Ford tomorrow, and gets hooked up for diagnosis.