Having problems with new motor i put in my 1990 Mustang GT.

Jonathan Barnhardt

Jan 1, 2012
I put a new 302 motor in my car. I have GT40 heads and GT40 Upper and lower intake with a 70mm throttle body. Could not hook air pump back up being that the heads did not have a place to connect them. So i bypassed the air pump by running a shorter belt. Having said that I have had problems get the car to idleand to stay running when cold. Also have a problem with jerking when trying to maintain a normal speed. Any Ideas? Please help

• Sponsors (?)

You have two posts open, so what is your current problem? Does the engine run, but the exhaust is stinky? Or the engine doesn't stay running when cold and jerks at cruse?

Fix for idle/stall problems (engine won't idle) see the "Surging Idle Checklist” for help with all your idle/stall problems. You can guess at the problem and throw parts at it, or you can use the checklist to help you find the problem quickly and inexpensively.

The quick and easy way to dump the codes is in there too, and all you need to do it is a paper clip! The first two posts contain all the fixes & updates. At last count there were 24 possible causes and fixes for surging idle/stall problems. I continue to update it as more people post fixes or ask questions.