having starting issues, help!!

kr65stang

Nov 13, 2010
I recently had a few issues with my 1965 mustang. First of all it is a V8, 289 with an automatic transmission. A few weeks ago my car overheated as there was a leak in my water pump. When it started overheating it shut off, and it would not start again. Got it towed home and it still would not start, engine would not turn over, no clicking noises just nothing. However, my lights and windshield wipers worked fine. We replaced the water pump and then attempted to trouble shoot the starting issue. I had the starter tested and it tested fine. I then proceeded to replace the starter relay. Once replaced with a new one it still did not want to start in anyway. I decided to replace the ignition switch. After purchasing the ignition switch I came home and attempted to turn the key in the igntion and the engine attempted to turn over but didn't. (I still had not replaced the ignition switch yet). I tried to turn the key and start the car but nothin. One more attempt and the car started to trun over but started sounding wierd so i turned the key to off and took it out but the car still tried to turn over. At this point i disconnected the negative battery terminal. When I tried to connect the negative battery terminal again (with no key in the ignition) the negative terminal sparked a lot and the car attempted to start. I decided install the new ignition switch hoping this would solve that problem but i got the same result. I then put back the old starter relay keeping the new ignition switch and the car would not do anything. I am stumped so any advice would be such a great help. Sorry for the lengthy explantion and for anything that seemed unclear. I love this car and want to get her back on the road

• Sponsors (?)

If the key is out of the ignition, and you connect the battery to the car and it attempts to start, I would say you have a stuck or bad solenoid.

This would also explain why the car was still attempting to start when you took the key out.

the simple and quick fix is to get a hammer and smack the top of the solenoid to get it unstuck.

If you run too much current for too long through the solenoid it will heat up and get stuck in the "on" position.

Shutoff by itself?
As in, it was overheating and kept driving till it seized on its own?
If so......early lesson learned when I was 18. As 'soon as' that temp needle moves to the red. Pullover, no matter what.
Does the oil smell burnt?

OK.
Just to go over where you are now.
1. starter tested good
2. replaced solenoid
3. replaced ignition sw
4. battery is known good condition (supplying frated AMPs and fully charged)
5. all grounds clean and tight.

Engine does not crank when the key is turned to start?
Does the starter engage, or just no attempt at all?
Have you tried to turn the crank by hand?