Hawk Front pads install ?

ran260gt

Sep 7, 2005
Im doing my Pads and Rotors and the Back when fine , but on the Front , which is not done yet (ran out of light) is becomeing a.p.i.t.a. , the front pass caliper`s Bleeder was so tight I stipped it , so now I cant get the piston`s to compress , and another problem is the Hawk pads that are for 99-04 mustangs have two nipples on them , which on the outside pad the nipples at each End make it that the pad does not sit flush on the caliper , the pad on the piston side sits fine !

Any thoughts , anybody else install hawk pads on the front have the same problem ?

And about the bleeder being stripped , should I just get a new caliper ?

thanks !

EDIT Read First ok I took the other set of pads out of the box and they are flat on the back side , So they must be the outside pads !

• Sponsors (?)

Im doing my Pads and Rotors and the Back when fine , but on the Front , which is not done yet (ran out of light) is becomeing a.p.i.t.a. , the front pass caliper`s Bleeder was so tight I stipped it , so now I cant get the piston`s to compress , and another problem is the Hawk pads that are for 99-04 mustangs have two nipples on them , which on the outside pad the nipples at each End make it that the pad does not sit flush on the caliper , the pad on the piston side sits fine !

Any thoughts , anybody else install hawk pads on the front have the same problem ?

And about the bleeder being stripped , should I just get a new caliper ?

thanks !

EDIT Read First ok I took the other set of pads out of the box and they are flat on the back side , So they must be the outside pads !

Unless the brake resevoir went empty you really should not need to worry about the bleeder being stripped for now. You don't need to open the bleeder to compress the caliper, put the old pad back on the piston side of the caliper and use a C-clamp to compress it back into the caliper.

I did not open my bleeders to do the brakes. You may need to remove some excess brake fluid from the resivour (siphone) to make sure it doesn't over-flow, but thats about it. Just be careful, brake fluid is HELL on paint!!!

And like lazerred said, use an old pad and c-clamp to compress the caliper.

The only "technical" reason to open the bleeder when pushing the piston back is to keep any dirty/old fluid from being pushed back into the system. When changing pads, you never even need to touch it. Like the others said, simply use a c-clamp, large channel lock plyers or a dedicated tool and work the piston back. As for the pads, sometimes they are inside/outside specific.

I was reading up on the subject and some say you have to open the bleeder to compress the piston , so you dont get brake fluid in the ABS system , is this correct ?

All you need to do is remove the brake fluid cap when compressing the piston. If you leave the cap on, it will put resistance on the compressing.

All you need to do is remove the brake fluid cap when compressing the piston. If you leave the cap on, it will put resistance on the compressing.

:flag::D CONGRATULATIONS on this being your :hail2:1000 post :banana::nice:

You should be happy , because you could be like me , been here since 05 and have only 13 post:shrug: , but Im not bitter :mad::nonono::fuss::scratch::Damnit:that my post dont save everytime NO its cool !:)

O and thats just what I did !:)