head clean up & prep

66novak

Jul 14, 2003
Got a rebuilt 6cyl head for my '66. Took out all valves and testing for specs, everything seems good so far. But, its been sitting around for some time and one intake port has some surface rust on it, not in the value seat however further back. Should I just take a few cans of breakcleaner to this or take it too a shop to have cleaned, boiled, checked for level, etc. Really new to engines so could use some advice. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

66novak said:
Got a rebuilt 6cyl head for my '66. Took out all valves and testing for specs, everything seems good so far. But, its been sitting around for some time and one intake port has some surface rust on it, not in the value seat however further back. Should I just take a few cans of breakcleaner to this or take it too a shop to have cleaned, boiled, checked for level, etc. Really new to engines so could use some advice. Thanks

When you say you got, you have not had it on before to know if there are any problems with it.
If your that new, it might be worth taking it to a machine shop and have it checked over.
the rust if it's surface will clean off.

PB

Thanks. It came with a rebuilt short block but I don't know the history of either. All appears well and the head was on the block. I'll call the machine shop and see what they suggest too. Thanks