Head Porting

JD1964

there is enough sticking out to grab on to
15 Year Member
Jun 28, 2013
Maryland
First pic of the port work. I'll post more after I pick them up.
E49C1B13-60CB-462C-90BF-2FCB768B3952.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

I see polished metal! LOL. Hard to tell much about it from here, but I'm sure its exciting waiting on them. Who is doing the work for you?

Joe

I see polished metal! LOL. Hard to tell much about it from here, but I'm sure its exciting waiting on them. Who is doing the work for you?

Joe

LOL? Unless I'm mistaken, polished metal is what you want right? But I agree the pictures dont show much. I did not order that a ton of material be removed. It wouldn't really be useful in my application. I just wanted the major ridges and casting defects knocked down and surfaces smoothed out.

A local guy named Mike Barker did the work. He's been working on and racing Mustangs (mostly fox body) for many years. Just like I get good ideas and tips from the members here, I also get them from him. He's currently driving (on the street) a 93 notch with a single turbo 331 stroker. He says it does 11's but I've had others tell me they've seen him in the 10's at the track.

Just curious but, why would someone someone tell you that their car does 11's when its really capable of 10's?

LOL? Unless I'm mistaken, polished metal is what you want right? But I agree the pictures dont show much. I did not order that a ton of material be removed. It wouldn't really be useful in my application. I just wanted the major ridges and casting defects knocked down and surfaces smoothed out.

A local guy named Mike Barker did the work. He's been working on and racing Mustangs (mostly fox body) for many years. Just like I get good ideas and tips from the members here, I also get them from him. He's currently driving (on the street) a 93 notch with a single turbo 331 stroker. He says it does 11's but I've had others tell me they've seen him in the 10's at the track.

Just curious but, why would someone someone tell you that their car does 11's when its really capable of 10's?

Not knocking the shiny metal. I was just saying I can't tell anything about the port job, just that something is shiny. My poor attempt at internet humor. I currently run a set of home ported GT40's, so I love seeing what comes out of someone's shop. Kinda lets me judge my attempt. Keep us updated as it goes together. Good luck with it!

Joe

Joe, I have done home porting jobs myself in the past on Olds and Chevy heads. I coulda done these GT40's too but I'm so busy lately. Add to that, I really trust this guy and his prices to me are very reasonable. You see, I have somewhat of a "connection" with him.

I'll take some detailed pics when I get the chance. I pick them up tomorrow aft but it could take me a day or two in getting pics posted.

I'm curious, did you notice a difference porting the GT40's?

As to his stating his car runs in the 11s when it sounds like it may be capable of 10s, maybe he doesn't like to brag. Or maybe, he doesn't want to spread the word too much so he can take someone's money at the track? Heck, I don't know. If my car was capable of times in the 10s, I would probably be a little modest too. :)

Reactions: 1 user
I would be sad if my turbo 331 didn't go in the low tens when my stock bottom end 302 novi 2000 combo has been 10.35..... just saying

Reactions: 1 user