Head Question W Ported Stock Lower Intake

90lxwhite

I'm kind of a She-Man
5 Year Member
Aug 25, 2011
Between the Red and Rio
Ok I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna do this but let's say I added a set of trickflow 170s or something similar and left the ported stock lower intake instead of getting a $700 higher flowing intake? My cam has a 512 lift on both in and exhaust. I realize that making power is all about the combination of parts and that I'd be leaving alot on the table w out new intake but how much would you guess the heads alone are worth w my cam and ported lower? Would you say between 10-20 or like 40-50 hp gain? And second question: since its all about matching parts would I make more power using a head like gt40 or something similar w my ported lower than say the tfs w same combo? Or would the tfs beat the gt40 w same intake? And can we keep the replies relative and not tell me to buy a systamax or at least an explorer intake? I'm mainly just wondering what heads would do as is

• Sponsors (?)

I have no idea how much you would gain, but, I do believe the TFS heads would make more power then the gt40's, hands down. Take a look at what your ported intake flow numbers, the compare that to an aftermarket unit. It will be a huge choke point. As an experiment, it would be neat to see, but a huge waste if intake gaskets.

Joe

Waste of money putting new heads on with the stock intake. If money is tight, grab a JY Explorer intake and throw it on. You can get them for $50 to $100 and they flow just as good as a Cobra or GT40. If you really want some HP, send the Explorer lower to Tom Moss for porting and that thing will flow as good if not better than most aftermarket intakes.

Waste of money putting new heads on with the stock intake. If money is tight, grab a JY Explorer intake and throw it on. You can get them for $50 to $100 and they flow just as good as a Cobra or GT40. If you really want some HP, send the Explorer lower to Tom Moss for porting and that thing will flow as good if not better than most aftermarket intakes.
Tom did my stock lower... He's not as cheap as he once was. And neither are the explorer intakes. I haven't been to a pull a part but ebay and the likes are all running like 150 to 200 or more it seems. Tom charges over 200 now and since this is going on a 95 I'd have to get the elbow- 60-$100. So now we're lookin at 400-500 bucks for a used intake. Why would new heads be a waste w stock intake? You think only a ten horse gain?

Tom did my stock lower... He's not as cheap as he once was. And neither are the explorer intakes. I haven't been to a pull a part but ebay and the likes are all running like 150 to 200 or more it seems. Tom charges over 200 now and since this is going on a 95 I'd have to get the elbow- 60-$100. So now we're lookin at 400-500 bucks for a used intake. Why would new heads be a waste w stock intake? You think only a ten horse gain?

150 to 200 for a JY intake?:doh: There are no less than 5 of those intakes at my local JY and I'm sure they are less than 75 bucks. Plus they have a 90 elbow on them already.

What numbers does your intake flow as the stiock upper is just such a choke on the motor. Did you at least open up the TB area to match your EGR and TB size. and put a spacer between the upper and lower. That would help a bit.

The IFS heads themselves should give a good 30-50 hp gain with the stock intake, but probably another 15-20 0r so with a better one. I'd also go with them over the GT40 if you have the money,

Heads alone will bring a noticeable power increase. Yes the intake will keep you from getting the most from the combo but you can always add an intake later. I say get the heads and if/when you can afford it get a better intake.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for your replies. We'll see whats going on w the gasket and go from there. As far as junkyard intakes go I haven't went and looked only was browsing online and that's what they're running. Where u finding explorer intakes w 94/95 elbows on em already? What someone putting mustang motors in explorers and then wrecking them? Oh and allegedly the ported lower flows 190 I think

Thanks for your replies. We'll see whats going on w the gasket and go from there. As far as junkyard intakes go I haven't went and looked only was browsing online and that's what they're running. Where u finding explorer intakes w 94/95 elbows on em already? What someone putting mustang motors in explorers and then wrecking them? Oh and allegedly the ported lower flows 190 I think
Sorry if I wasn't clear.. I was referring to the stock Explorer elbow, not the SN95. I kno w there is a difference but it at least gets you in the general direction.