Header Fitment Question On 65 With T5 Trans

65-Fstbk

15 Year Member
May 20, 2007
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
Hi All,

I have a set of Hedman shorty headers 88400's on my motor. The pass side header seems to be fine at the collector but the drivers side looks like it's just going to clip the cable clutch mounting tab on the T5 transmission. These are ball and socket type connectors so I could almost pivot the reducer a little to clear but I am also wondering if anyone else has had experience with this?

The other thing I was considering would be to trim the tab of the cable clutch mount as there seems to be a fair amount of aluminum hanging there doing nothing structural. I'm thinking a small trim may do it.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this to make it work?

Picture is drivers side looking down into affected area.
Header 2.jpg

My setup is as follows:
1987 5.0 HO converted to carburetor
ProComp 190 Aluminum heads
T5 Transmission
Cable clutch
Hedman 88400's

• Sponsors (?)

Header.jpg

Update - I have read online that Hedman 88400's dump right onto the tab for the trans but my setup does not seem to. Maybe it's my heads that angle the headers differently?? Anyway I crawled underneath the car and took the reducer with me with some thin card stock wrapped around it to extend the pipe and check clearance. It will actually clear the clutch cable tab on the bellhousing without notching the tab at all. So what I'm thinking is to fabricate a heat shield as well that will mount to two of the oil pan bolts and curve down around the clutch cable which already has heat insulation over it. The heat shield will be covered with Lava Matt on the header side which is good to a constant 1200 degrees F and shields 80% of radiant heat. It's only 0.007" thick so lots of room for it.

Comments guys....do you think this setup will work?