Exhaust Header Gasket Question

hssnpny

May 30, 2002
SoCal
Both my header gaskets are leaking, and I'm wondering whether the H-pipe needs to come off to do the replacement? If it doesn't have to come off, any need to support the weight - maybe put a floor jack underneath to hold it up? Alum heads, so I don't want to mess up the threads with too much weight.

Any tips/tricks to help? I was hoping I could remove all bolts except the outer 2 on each header and just stick in a new gasket.

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

It depends. If it has a hook on gasket than definately not. The quality gaskets have open holes on front and back header bolts, so you that they just drop in with those two bolts just loosened, not removed. If not, it's probably a good idea to loosen the flange bolts to get some wiggle room with the header. You definately don't want to risk putting those bolts in crooked with an aluminum head.

Kurt

It depends. If it has a hook on gasket than definately not. The quality gaskets have open holes on front and back header bolts, so you that they just drop in with those two bolts just loosened, not removed. If not, it's probably a good idea to loosen the flange bolts to get some wiggle room with the header. You definately don't want to risk putting those bolts in crooked with an aluminum head.

Kurt
I second this. Make sure to get a quality gasket that isn't paper-based. Ideally, a copper gasket is the way to go, but I've done well by the Felpro 1415 gaskets.

Felpro 1415s are for ported heads. No reason to drop that kind of cash if the heads haven't had any exhaust porting done. The factory replacement Felpros are a metallic gasket that works just as well, and they are about $11 instead of $34.

Kurt