Fox Header temp difference

Nightstang00

Mar 20, 2017
I am wondering about different header tubes having different temperatures. I have a 93 gt with gt40p heads , long tube headers. The pass side back two cylinders are betwee 75-100 degrees hotter then the front. I measured with a ir temp gauge at the mounting of the header to heads. Any ideas / is this ok?

• Sponsors (?)

What is the quality level of your IR gauge? If there is a temp difference of that much in two of the 8 primaries, the problem isn't the headers.

Kurt

What is the quality level of your IR gauge? If there is a temp difference of that much in two of the 8 primaries, the problem isn't the headers.

Kurt
It’s a harbor freight gauge. I’m sure not the best but I used it on each one and they all were within 50 degrees. These two were very high , what do you think it could be ?

It’s a harbor freight gauge. I’m sure not the best but I used it on each one and they all were within 50 degrees. These two were very high , what do you think it could be ?

Eh, I could write quite a bit about how tools have changed, and how I have ended up buying stuff at Harbor Freight when I used to despise the place, but that is not what this is about. If you want to go old school to check the validity of your gauge, get a water dropper. You can get one at any pharmacy for about $4. Just buy an ear wax removal kit, and there is a bulb dropper in it. You can still use it to clean your ears, which by the way, I would like to mention is a life changing revelation. Drip water on the primary and visually measure how long it takes to vaporize between different primaries. If those two primaries appear to vaporize water faster than the others, then it is time to start pulling spark plugs to see if there is any difference in the appearance of them. There is a spark plug reading chart in the back of any Haynes manual. We can go from there.

Kurt

trying to figure this out on my car as well 95 gt my passenger side header is 400 some degrees and the driver side is 200 and some change im having over heating probs tho new water pump new rad hoses and thermostat and cars passing headgasket test fluid stays blue i have burped system time after time gonna tear it down i guess and see whats inside im lost good luck tho

Reactions: 1 user
Eh, I could write quite a bit about how tools have changed, and how I have ended up buying stuff at Harbor Freight when I used to despise the place, but that is not what this is about. If you want to go old school to check the validity of your gauge, get a water dropper. You can get one at any pharmacy for about $4. Just buy an ear wax removal kit, and there is a bulb dropper in it. You can still use it to clean your ears, which by the way, I would like to mention is a life changing revelation. Drip water on the primary and visually measure how long it takes to vaporize between different primaries. If those two primaries appear to vaporize water faster than the others, then it is time to start pulling spark plugs to see if there is any difference in the appearance of them. There is a spark plug reading chart in the back of any Haynes manual. We can go from there.

Kurt
Makes sense , I’ll see where that goes when I get a chance to play around with it.