Headlamp lens removal?

HyPer-50

Jun 26, 2003
Woodstock, GA
Hey, I'm trying to swap lenses on my cars (the rolled 92 and the 91 GT) because the GT's lens are starting to yellow and are faded. My question is, how do you seperate the lens from the headlamp? I took the weatherstripping off but just can't seem to figure out how to get the lens off... aside just using brute force. Is this the way your supposed to remove it or is there an easier way? Any help would be much appreciated. On a side note, on one of the lamps from the 92, there is a skinny piece of metal about the size of a business card loose in the lamp, i see it is in place on the "good" one. Is this important? Is that other lamp no longer good? Thanks much

• Sponsors (?)

i think he is right, you can't seperate those things... there was an article about how to clean them and make them look like new somewhere around here... i can't find it...

you'll have to take them off of the headlight support in the bumper cover..

just open your hood, and you'll see all the little bolts.

I used a steak knife and my fingernails to get the lens off the headlight assembly. It takes alot of patience to get it off without breaking anything, or cutting yourself, but I did it. This allowed me to clean the inside of the lens too. Most of the yellow is on the outside though, its not really worth it. I only cut one of them apart, and I dont recommend it, but it can be done. I didnt mess with the mirror stuff inside. It was already flaking off, so I didnt touch it.

If you are serious about taking the lens off it can be done..

First thing you do is take the headlights out,
Second grab a hair dryer and put it on Hot
Hold the hairdryer right above the edge of the lamp, get a flat screw driver and carefully pry it off, you have to get it pretty hot first.
Then there you go !