headlight and taillight question

BigBallin

Mar 5, 2010
i have a 89 black gt vert and the headlight and turns need to be replaced. what is the best option? are the clear headlights good, i mean do they light up the road like the stockers? and i seen a thread somewhere about smoked headlights, is that just clears smoked or an actual product you can buy? also on the rear, i hate the cheese graters, is the only option for me lx tails? thanks for a reply sorry im new to the mustang

• Sponsors (?)

Two ways to go replace or restore, the sell lens refinishing kits where u buff out and polish your old lens back to a semi clear finish. Or the other option is replace them with new lens kits, any of the big suppliers sell these full light kits for the front and rear of the car. The front kits have clear, repo, smoked, ultra clear, and the rears are repo, and clear. I personally like the lx tailight lens and converted them on my gt. People also have euro style lenses and blackouts if your into that kind of thing.

Word of advice, the smoked headlights look cool, but do not illuminate the road very well at night time. Try driving at night w/ your sun glasses on. Same effect.

they make smoke clear, and smoke ultra clear. seems the ultra clear have the diamond backing.
my headlights are not that bad but the drivers side signal lens is broke

I used to know someone that tinted the windshield of his 1969 Corvette (T-Top version). He really thought about how dumb his idea was when he missed a stop sign and went through a pasture fence and into a pasture with his 'vette at a T intersection. It did a lot of damage to the car too. I think running smoke colored headlights would be about the same, but at least you'd have a clear windshield so you could see what you are hitting just before you run it over at night.

I would replace the lights with stock equivalents. Napa sells them with the brackets on the headlight assemblies. Just bolt them in and go.

I was lucky enough to get with a Ford dealer that located some originals that were still sitting at some dealerships around the country. I got all 6 pieces. I am now thinking the after-market ones with the vents in the back may have been a better idea because the new ones have moisture in them already.