Headlight/multi-function switch wiring decoding help

Ok. I made new taillight and headlight harnesses with the Rebel Wire kit I bought and now I'm wiring in the column plugs and connectors. I think there are some wires I just don't need anymore since I'm not going to be using a dash light circuit or the dimmer rheostat.

It would be great if anyone with knowledge can help identify some of the wires by color. I have the Chilton's book and TMoss's helpful schematics, but they don't cover ALL the wires.

I'll start with what I know and, if you could, please fill in the label for the wires that you know:

HEADLIGHT SWITCH:
Blue w/ red tracer:
Red w/ yellow tracer: to multi-function switch
Tan (x2 from same position): to park lights
Black (x2 from same position): grounds
Tan w/ white tracer: power from fuse box (but what does this particular wire power?)
Black w/ tan (or orange) tracer:

MULTI-FUNCTION SWITCH:
Red w/ black tracer (x2 from same position): (1) to headlights; (1) to fuse panel
Blue with orange tracer: to fuse panel (what does this wire power?)
Green w/ black tracer (x2 from same position): (1) to headlights; (1) to high beam indicator light
Red w/ yellow tracer: to headlight switch

HAZARD LIGHT SWITCH:
Light blue: turn signal flasher
Orange w/ yellow tracer: to turn signal switch
Orange w/ blue tracer: to turn signal switch
Light green w/ orange tracer: to turn signal switch
Grey w/ blue tracer:
Green w/ orange tracer: to turn signal switch
White w/ light blue tracer: right turn indicator
Green w/ white tracer: left turn indicator

Thanks all!
Todd

• Sponsors (?)

I'll start with what I know and, if you could, please fill in the label for the wires that you know:

HEADLIGHT SWITCH:
Blue w/ red tracer: Switch Illumination (bulb inside switch)
Red w/ yellow tracer: to multi-function switch
Tan (x2 from same position): to park lights
Tan w/ white tracer: power from fuse box (but what does this particular wire power?)
Black w/ tan tracer: Should be BK/O - Main feed to switch (Hot at all times)

MULTI-FUNCTION SWITCH:
Black w/ red tracer <Should be R/BK (x2 from same position): (1) to headlights; (1) to fuse panel
Blue with orange tracer: to fuse panel (what does this wire power?) Flash to Pass circuit (Hot at all times through a 20A fuse)
Green w/ black tracer (x2 from same position): (1) to headlights; (1) to high beam indicator light
Red w/ yellow tracer: to headlight switch

HAZARD LIGHT SWITCH:
Light blue: turn signal flasher
Orange w/ yellow tracer: to turn signal switch
Orange w/ blue tracer: to turn signal switch
Light green w/ orange tracer: to turn signal switch
Grey w/ blue tracer: Diagrams don't show this color combination
Green w/ orange tracer: to turn signal switch <Diagrams don't show this only the LG/O above
White w/ light blue tracer: right turn indicator
Green w/ white tracer: left turn indicator

According to my diagrams there are two colors missing for the Hazard switch: W/R and LB/R. Compare your connector to the diagram found at Wiring diagram for hazard light switch? - Mustang Forums at StangNet post #3.

According to my diagrams there are two colors missing for the Hazard switch: W/R and LB/R. Compare your connector to the diagram found at Wiring diagram for hazard light switch? - Mustang Forums at StangNet post #3.

Greatly appreciated. First, you are absolutely correct. I made an error and it should read red with black tracer, not black with red tracer as I wrote.

Now, onto the hazard switch. Let's say you are staring down the connector end of the plug, not the end where the wires are installed. My switch is as follows:

[empty] [light blue]
[orange w/blue and white/blue] [black]
[empty] [light grey w/ blue]
[green w/org and green w/wht] [orange w/ yellow]

The Chilton's/Haynes manuals account for all of these except for (as you noted from your manuals) the grey with blue tracer from the hazard switch. The other wires you mention should be there that aren't are just that - non-existent. There are no missing wires. I plan to remove any wires that aren't necessary to my goal, and that is to have functioning lights and turn signals in a 600 horse street car.

The old Haynes book had a much more in depth schematic. Of course, that book was destroyed by grease and oil a while ago. The Chilton's book just doesn't seem to have a very detailed illustration.

Regarding the headlight switch, you are correct with the color of the wire, I'm sure. It's a replacement receptacle and I'm sure the color is just off from what it should be.

The gray wire could be something as simple as switch illumination, but you're going to have to do some tracing since a lot of the wire colors are not matching positions or are missing.

You can use the link in the above post along with the schematic at Anyone have a complete wiring diag for turn signals? - Mustang Forums at StangNet to trace the circuits. If you look in the connector for the switch you'll see a letter associated with each pin. Those letters will also be found in the connector diagram and the schematic to help trace where all the circuits are going.

The gray wire could be something as simple as switch illumination, but you're going to have to do some tracing since a lot of the wire colors are not matching positions or are missing.

You can use the link in the above post along with the schematic at Anyone have a complete wiring diag for turn signals? - Mustang Forums at StangNet to trace the circuits. If you look in the connector for the switch you'll see a letter associated with each pin. Those letters will also be found in the connector diagram and the schematic to help trace where all the circuits are going.

Fortunately for me, the turn signal connector is spot on to the manual schematic. Seems the problem is going to be the headlight switch and those extra wires that don't appear anywhere.

This is a street/strip car, and the only factory wiring left in it is the pigtails from the column switches. Everything has been replaced and was smooth sailing until I realized how many wires and switches it takes just to get a light to blink!

Thanks a ton for your help thus far. On a side note, do you have a good schematic for the ignition switch on a Fox?

The ignition switch diagrams are broken down depending upon which circuits the switch serves. More detail can be seen in the individual diagrams.

92pwrdist.jpg

That's great. Thanks a lot, man! Fantastic.

The ignition switch seems like there's going to be some wires I can remove (I already removed the pins for the wires that go to the cluster since I run a Florida 5.0 with autometers and no warning lights, just turn indicators). There's no EEC as it's a carbed car.

I believe all I need is the two yellows to battery, one of the grey/yellow to the fuse panel; the white/pink to NSS/ignition; red/lt green to fuse panel; black/lt green to fuse panel.

Ok I know this is old but I'm hoping for some help. I was replacing turn/ multifunction switch. When I pulled it out wires came out of both harnesses. Is there somewhere to get a diagram? I have 98 v6 mustang but I'm pretty sure wires for that are same as 8cyl. Please help!

I feel your pain, but I think you will get a better response in the 96 sn95 forums, post your question there and the people over there can get you fixed up.
I know there are some wiring diagrams at tmoss or stangs&2birds, google them,