headlight switch connector

Cwestcott22

Nov 26, 2018
Texas
alright guys i picked up a 92 GT 5.0 the other week. I have been trying to get it ready for inspection but the headlights dont work. I took the switch out only to find the wires twisted together. I took them apart to properly secure them and noticed that the connector had 2 black wires while the original harness only has 1.

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

What is this wire for???

No mention of what year Mustang; the wiring changed several times between 1979 and 1995.
No mention of what engine type - 4-6-8 cylinder engines all used different engine wiring harnesses
No mention on what harness you are working with for each connector/wire set. There are different harnesses for engine mounted EFI, main computer harness, under dash harness, front body harness, rear body harness.

When you post electrical questions, you need to do two things:
1.) Include the wire stripe and colors, like blue/red. First color is the solid color and the second color is the stripe. Color photos don't work well, since each computer reproduces colors differently.

2.) Always show the face of the connector where it plugs into its mating component

Answer all the questions and I will try to help.

What is this wire for???

No mention of what year Mustang; the wiring changed several times between 1979 and 1995.
No mention of what engine type - 4-6-8 cylinder engines all used different engine wiring harnesses
No mention on what harness you are working with for each connector/wire set. There are different harnesses for engine mounted EFI, main computer harness, under dash harness, front body harness, rear body harness.

1.) Include the wire stripe and colors, like blue/red. First color is the solid color and the second color is the stripe. Color photos don't work well, since each computer reproduces colors differently.

2.) Always show the face of the connector where it plugs into its mating component

Sorry 92 5.0 headlight switch, there are 2 black wires coming out of the connector but there is only one black wire on the harness coming off of the car. i have searched for the other blick wire but can NOT find it anywhere.

What is this wire for???

2b70208c-c35d-4744-820b-d30d2ea73dcd-jpeg.jpg

I asked you 3 questions and you didn't answer any of them
All I got was a picture, which in this case doesn't help very much...

Let's try this again...

alright guys i picked up a 92 GT 5.0 the other week. I have been trying to get it ready for inspection but the headlights dont work. I took the switch out only to find the wires twisted together. I took them apart to properly secure them and noticed that the connector had 2 black wires while the original harness only has 1.

I might have something that will help you. I have a 91 EVTM that I believe shows the wiring connector and what wire goes where. I'll look later today, but quote me and reply to remind me if I don't

I asked you 3 questions and you didn't answer any of them
All I got was a picture, which in this case doesn't help very much...

Let's try this again...
I replied to the thread twice. Once with the info you requested. In which I edited my post to say that info and also a picture of the connector. So...yea let’s try it again. 92 5.0 headlight switch connector.

Thanks man. My problem is that I have two ground wires for the illumination ground and only one ground wire on the original harness. Idk if o should tie them together or ground one to the “frame”. I really apprecite tour help!

You have 6 wires coming out of the connector? I guess I'm a little confused as to where these wires are.

Do any colors match up with the diagram above?

I'm confused though. Where does the extra black wire come from. The connector? So you have 7 wires? What terminal is the extra wire pair with?
So using the picture above I have all the correct wires except for in 14 I have 2 brown and in 57 I have 2 black, totaling 8 wires on the connector. On the original harness I have all the corresponding wires, except for the extra black from 57, making 7 wires!

So using the picture above I have all the correct wires except for in 14 I have 2 brown and in 57 I have 2 black, totaling 8 wires on the connector. On the original harness I have all the corresponding wires, except for the extra black from 57, making 7 wires!

Gotcha. In this case, 57 is always ground to chassis. I would splice one to the existing wire (which does go to chassis) and just tape up the other one. You don't really need the extra wires. Here's how the switch is wired. If you see the terminal pairings I'd should make sense to you.

57 is switch light ground, and 14 is parking light ground

IMG_1524.JPG

IMG_1525.JPG