headlight wont turn on!? help!?

HO5POINTO1990

Aug 12, 2003
San Jose
crapola I cannot believe this... I had my mechanic look at my head lights and I cannot figure out what the hell is wrong with them. I know I am not the only one with this problem because I have been on the freeway and saw another mustang with this problem. I have the 6 piece headlight set and the HEADLIGHTS themselves will not engage when I press the switch all the way down. I had my mechanic look at it, and we tested to make sure all the ground wires and positive wires were working. Sure enough all the grounds worked, and all the positives worked. However, when we opened up the switch we tried fixing it and when putting it back on it only worked occasionally when being sensitive with the switch. So I purchased a new switch figuring that was the problem, and that didn't solve the problem.
My buddy who does electrical says that maybe there is a bypass or a circuit breaker of some kind that I can look into the see if that is the problem. But I really want to know what others might think the issue is. I still drive the car at night, but I have to pull out the headlight switch and splice a wire from the constant power of the switch to the foglight part of the switch (ground i think) and the headlights magically go on :notnice:

• Sponsors (?)

The headlight switch itself has an overload breaker (like a hairdryer does). That is why peeps with fogs have their lights shut down after having them on for some time.

Do you drive with fogs? Do you have a relay on the fogs, if you have them? I chose to add relays to control low and high beams, as well as fogs. This reduces the burden on the switchgear.

FWIW, in stock form, the foglights get power from the headlight circuit. So if the headlights dont work, the fogs should not either.

Are you sure the feed into the switch has a good connection?

Good luck.

sometimes when peeps are having problems they look at the complicated fixes first not the easy stuff. is the fuse burnt out? did the headlights burn out? just a simple thing to check first. i always seem to try to fix the worst case senario first.

The headlight is not connected to any fuses because that wouldn't make any sense. They are hardwired MOST of the time for that simple fact that if you burnt a fuse it wouldn't run into any problems. I know the lights work because I am hard wiring the CONSTANT power from the headlight to a ground in the fog light and for some reason... while I am doing that it seems to work. other than that I have no real answer why it is still not working other than I might have gotten ANOTHER broken switch.

HO5POINTO1990 said:
The headlight is not connected to any fuses because that wouldn't make any sense. They are hardwired MOST of the time for that simple fact that if you burnt a fuse it wouldn't run into any problems. I know the lights work because I am hard wiring the CONSTANT power from the headlight to a ground in the fog light and for some reason... while I am doing that it seems to work. other than that I have no real answer why it is still not working other than I might have gotten ANOTHER broken switch.
In stock form, there are several fuse protection measures for the headlights (fusible link, blade fuse, etc). IIRC fuse 4 is for the headlights, and there is at least one fusible link sending power to that fuse.

I am puzzled because there is no ground in the fog light switch. The switch passes 12 volts from the headlight circuit (or whatever you sourced if you did the rewire so the lights can be on when you want). The only grounding occurs at the fog light bulbs.

Good luck.