Headlights A Bit Lame

JD1964

there is enough sticking out to grab on to
15 Year Member
Jun 28, 2013
Maryland
The battery and alternator are in good working order. The headlights are not as bright as they should be. Could it be these bulbs are just crappy? What about these aftermarket lenses, could they have poor design that would contribute to the problem?

CE6FE3E2-951C-447D-AB4A-8DC2A2FA5F30.jpeg
2F851850-DF22-4DCA-97F5-882A62A874D4.jpeg

• Sponsors (?)

There are little ground wires screwed into the top of the radiator core support on both sides by the hood prop. ( green little bolts...black wires ). Those are the headlight grounds. You can take them loose and clean them up...might help.

Check the connectors, too.

You could also buy sylvania ultra bright bulbs and blind the hell outta folks.

Reactions: 1 user
I’ll check the grounds and connections. I was pondering brighter bulbs but I surely don’t wanna be one of those jerks that blinds other drivers. I hate that. Of course proper aiming would be essential if I get brighter bulbs.

The problem I've found with the aftermarket headlights is they don't seem to refract (not sure if that's the correct term) the light correctly.
Basically the beam seems to narrow not enough spread and aiming them is a crap shoot.
Not sure if this is what your experiencing?

Aftermarket headlights....well..suck. They don't project the beam correctly, not that the stockers were much better. Those headlights were never factory, so you are relying on the supposed ability of a company to properly design and validate the reflector, and then build them in china with very loose QC and meet strict roadway standards that OEM's spend millions on design to achieve. So you need to take their abilty to project with a grain of salt.

However, part of the issue coule be electrical as well. The intensity of the bulb depends on the voltage it receives and this all depends on the wiring feeding it and the grounds. A good solution is to rewire the headlights so that the original wiring triggers a relay that is feeding direct voltage from the battery and a good ground. This will ensure the brightest beam from the bulb.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
It's the aftermarket headlights. Get good quality OEM ones, and it will be much better. It won't be like a current model car though. Headlights have come a long way over the years. You can brighten them up with a set of better bulbs; like those $60 Sylvanias they sell at the parts store. I've bought them for all my older cars because my eyes just aren't what they used to be.

Kurt

Grounds are good. Batt resting voltage 12.8. System run voltage at idle 14.7. Bulbs are Sylvania Xtra Vision which are decent quality.

Closer look at these aftermarket lenses and it’s obvious they’re crappy. Made for appearance, not function. They have maybe 9 large flutes in the reflector and shine through the clear lenses. OEM lens has maybe 250 flutes in 6 or 7 different groups. It’s obvious where the engineering efforts were.

Aftermarket top pic. OEM bottom

C3E98296-B425-4171-965D-284E97441C6B.jpeg
79A855C7-2224-4613-A43B-45F107803ABC.jpeg

Grounds are good. Batt resting voltage 12.8. System run voltage at idle 14.7.

Unfortunately that really doesn't tell you the whole picture. You have voltage drop through a headlight switch with known melting/overheating issues, plus general voltage drop through the wiring, so it's possible to have 14v at the batt but 10-11v powering the actual headlight under load.

Using relays is a method that ensures full voltage without any drop reaches the bulbs .

Reactions: 1 users
X2 on running headlight relays...they allow full battery voltage to the headlights...my headlights are tinted so i dont drive at night lol...but when i redid my wiring I added relays so when i do opt for different headlights they are as bright as possible...