Headlights randomly stop working :O

Oct 7, 2003
Headlights randomly stop working [RESOLVED]

I've talked to all my friends and co-workers about this problem, and no one can fix this! I thought I'd hop on here and see if the stang gurus can help!

This is sort of a big issue, as it's keeping me from driving at night. The problem I encounter is that at random points during a day, my headlights will stop working and all my interior lights will dim considerably like the car is under heavy drain.

This usually happens somewhere between my house and my work. I live about 20 minutes away. Typically, when I first start the car in the morning the lights work fine. Once they go out during my drive, I turn the headlight switch to off for the rest of the trip. After my work is done and I leave, they always light up, but again, they turn off somewhere between my work and my house.

The problem started after a ski trip. I left my car in my garage with the negative battery cable unplugged. I was gone for roughly a week. When I returned and started my car, my headlights would not work and my interior lights were dim and surging. I unplugged my fog lights and the headlights came back on. At this point I thought the problem was fixed, but later that day (with the fog lights still unplugged) my headlights did the same thing.

Some things to note about my car/situation:

Problem has been occurring for about a month.

It's a 1996 GT which I've owned since 2001 and it's been my daily driver.

I had a '02 GT engine swapped in 2004-ish.

I had recently changed the alternator because I thought it was going bad. So, thinking that it might be the alternator, I swapped the original back in which did NOT fix the problem (maybe wiring/plugs bad?).

I have aftermarket headlight housings, but stock wiring and bulbs. I have an aftermarket stereo installed as well.

All the fuses look fine.

Ever since I've owned my car there has been a battery drain. If I leave the car for a few days, the battery will be dead. The last time I did research on this it appeared it was a common issue with 1996 stangs? I've never had any other issues with this.

I'm at my wits end, I would really like to drive my car again! Please help! :)

• Sponsors (?)

I ordered a new headlight switch as soon as you guys responded. It arrived yesterday and I installed it today. After a 40 minute test drive it appears my issue has been fixed!

I knew I should have come here first. Thanks for the help!