Electrical Headlights, Turn Signals, Hazards Don't Work

Grn92LX

Fidanza Man!
Founding Member
Jan 14, 2001
New York
I can turn the headlight switch on and the dash gauges will light up but headlights won't turn on. If I turn the blinkers on, the arrow on the dash will stay on solid and same for the taillight blinkers just stays on solid. Hoping for a simple fix. Any idea's?

• Sponsors (?)

Check the wiring connectors for the multifunction switch. There may be a loose ire or one that overheated and damaged things.

Multifunction turn signal switch:
Before you think about replacing the multifunction switch with one from the junkyard, here are some things to be aware of...

The problem is more common in GT models because they had fog lights on the same power wiring as the headlights. Ford undersized the wire and that caused problems.

A word of caution about multifunction switches is in order here. The multifunction switch (high/low beam, wiper, turn signals) are different for different years. 87-98 will work in any 87-89 car. The 90-93 switches only work in 90-93 cars. You can't put an early model switch in a late model car, nor can you put a late model switch in an early car.

Supposedly you can move the pins around to make the switches work in model years that are different from the car the switch came out of. I cannot verify that and haven’t tried it.

Other possible problem sources for the turn signal & headlight malfunction are the ignition switch, multifunction switch and the plastic shell that holds the turn signal wiring connector pins.
93 headlight circuit.gif
92-93 Windshield wiper circuit.gif
92-93 Mustang turn signal circuit.jpg

I have an idea, but it might be dumb. It seems like I've replaced a hazard switch or relay behind the radio that was responsible for the blinkers working really slowly. I think there's another flasher relay behind the steering column in vicinity or even behind the fuse block. I haven't touched the damned thing in a decade, but I recall this being an issue for me. If you've done the multi-function switch, I'd go there next. If that fails, you're going to be running grounds with a multimeter.

Since I don't make house calls to New York it is ether use the diagrams to find the problem or pay $$$ for someone else to fix it.

I posted the electrical diagrams for your model & year car. It is time to get out your multimeter and start tracing the wiring until you find the fault.

Yes. I was having an issue of my head lights not turning on, blinkers not blinking, low coolant sensor not getting power. It was the C108 connector disconnected. Probably came disconnected while I was removing my master cylinder and brake booster during my 5 lug swap since the main wire harness runs in that area. The C108 connector runs underneath the battery tray and connects right next to the battery tray.

Check the wiring connectors for the multifunction switch. There may be a loose ire or one that overheated and damaged things.

Multifunction turn signal switch:
Before you think about replacing the multifunction switch with one from the junkyard, here are some things to be aware of...

The problem is more common in GT models because they had fog lights on the same power wiring as the headlights. Ford undersized the wire and that caused problems.

A word of caution about multifunction switches is in order here. The multifunction switch (high/low beam, wiper, turn signals) are different for different years. 87-98 will work in any 87-89 car. The 90-93 switches only work in 90-93 cars. You can't put an early model switch in a late model car, nor can you put a late model switch in an early car.

Supposedly you can move the pins around to make the switches work in model years that are different from the car the switch came out of. I cannot verify that and haven’t tried it.

Other possible problem sources for the turn signal & headlight malfunction are the ignition switch, multifunction switch and the plastic shell that holds the turn signal wiring connector pins.
93 headlight circuit.gif
92-93 Windshield wiper circuit.gif
92-93 Mustang turn signal circuit.jpg
Do you happen to have page 13-11and 149-1 From that diagram book? Reference is in the top right of top photo, the headlight switch testing. Thanks

Do you happen to have page 13-11and 149-1 From that diagram book? Reference is in the top right of top photo, the headlight switch testing. Thanks

You can go on helm inc and buy the whole book for like $15.
Even if jricker gets you the page, it's still worth owning. Easily pays for itself.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users