Headlights Turned Off Completely While Driving At Night, Any Ideas What's Up?

apothicca

Dec 30, 2016
I was driving back home last night from a relatives house and the lights just completely turned off. The dash was still on though, and after I tried turning my brights on and off it came back on. I got home and could not reproduce it anymore, but it did happen once again, After that I kept my brights off and it didn't happen anymore.

I have searched around and some people say it is the headlight switch? Is this the knob for the lights? How would i check if this is what is wrong?

I looked at the connectors for the Dimmer switch and the Headlights/turn signal changer and they are not burnt or anything. Need to get this fixed cause it's dangerous as is!

• Sponsors (?)

I've had a headlight switch crap out on me before so wouldn't be out of the question. You mentioned you checked some connectors; did you check the actual switch to turn the headlights on/off or the hi/lo switch on the column? When they turned off the first time, were your high beams on or low? Does this only happen with the high beams on or has it happened with lows as well?

On many model year Mustangs there's an automatic resetting circuit breaker inside the head light switch. What can happen over time the connections get weak. Weak connections get hot. Hot connections make the CB trip at lower levels.

If this were my car I would check all of the connections on the back of the head light switch looking for evidence of over heating.

The reason the problem may come and go has to do with the CB getting hot and cooling down. Automatic reset.

I've had a headlight switch crap out on me before so wouldn't be out of the question. You mentioned you checked some connectors; did you check the actual switch to turn the headlights on/off or the hi/lo switch on the column? When they turned off the first time, were your high beams on or low? Does this only happen with the high beams on or has it happened with lows as well?
I didn't unplug them, just looked at them plugged in, but I looked at both. They were on hi beams, after that i put them on low and it didn't happen again. I tried using hi beams again and they switched off, so i kept them on low after that. So only high beams on make it do it and I haven't gotten it to do it again at home.

On many model year Mustangs there's an automatic resetting circuit breaker inside the head light switch. What can happen over time the connections get weak. Weak connections get hot. Hot connections make the CB trip at lower levels.

If this were my car I would check all of the connections on the back of the head light switch looking for evidence of over heating.

The reason the problem may come and go has to do with the CB getting hot and cooling down. Automatic reset.
What would be the fix with this? do they sell that whole assembly or is the CB separate? I'll take a look at it more thoroughly today

I checked it and it is melted, so I just need this switch then? The connector is a little melted will this matter much? the connector doesn't move it is just the housing.
aOdfO

If the body harness side is melted to the point it no longer makes solid electrical connection to the switch, If you want the repair done right the connections at the switch will need to be made electrically sound.

As long as the electrical connections are tight at the switch it should be OK. But you need to be the one to make that call as you have the part right in front of you.

As an option, when the new switch is installed, run the headlights for a period of time before buttoning up the dash. If it's still overheating you should be able to feel it getting hot. If not, finish up and call it a day. Good job!