Headlights? - An Other Stuff that's [not] Headlights

Gotta give Wayne props where props are due. I followed his advice on the weatherstripping and haven't looked back. He did some great research ("not a friend of a friend's uncle told me..." kinda thing), and it was dead on. I order most of my stuff from LMR, followed by NPD. When it comes to weatherstripping though I go to Blue Oval Industries. They have a website and sell through Ebay. The unique thing with them is they list the actual manufacturer in their repo parts listings so I can be sure I'm getting the one I want (like DCR in the case of W/S). They also sell in kits for W/S and are usually the lowest price around. I've ordered for 2 cars this way so far and they were cheaper than LMR or CJ's..and I got 100% DCR stuff.

The item you a referring to as rocker covers are sill plates or door sill plates. DCR also makes a nice repop set of these.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Thanks for all of the assistance! I am going to attempt to post a picture of the mustang here in just a second on this thread. I hope I can figure out how to do it correctly. The car is really rough right now (looking at pictures) and fairly rough in person cosmetically (no rust!). The important parts are in good shape, and the body is honest. I would rather have one like this that needs paint than one that has been pushed through maco and has 500$ worth of bondo. Has anyone used the carpet from LMR? Considering an order from LMR today. Thanks again for all of the info it has already been a tremendous help!

mustang.jpg

Solid looking. It's a little rough around the edges but you will enjoy the process I'm sure. Old car guy tip here.....don't throw anything away. When I go thru one I get a giant plastic tub from WalMart and everything related to that car has it's own tub(s). We have a tendency to say "I'll never need that part".....until we do and it isn't made anymore. I'd also go over every bit of that wiring and make sure it's legit. That goes especially for the old alternator wiring that has burned down quite a few foxes. You should rename this thread as your build thread and post your progress along the way. Very good that you got initial pics of it just as it sits now. It would be cool to see it progress and be a shiny beautiful Fox one day.

You are right, I think I will try to rename the thread soon. I am following your advice on the weather stripping seems you did your homework on that one for sure! Great information and tremendous dedication! Much appreciated! I actually have the "genuine ford" in my cart on LMR right now that is adding up quickly. I did get a good deal on the car and look forward to the build process. I do need a painter if anyone lives in the southeast and has a recommendation. I will be doing everything but the paint myself however, I might assist with the prep work. Thanks again for all of the information so far! I mentioned before I own a shop close to I20 between Birmingham and Atlanta if anyone is close by and is bored on the weekends I would swap out access to the lifts and equipment for a little assistance on some of the project! Thanks again!

You are right, I think I will try to rename the thread soon. I am following your advice on the weather stripping seems you did your homework on that one for sure! Great information and tremendous dedication! Much appreciated! I actually have the "genuine ford" in my cart on LMR right now that is adding up quickly. I did get a good deal on the car and look forward to the build process. I do need a painter if anyone lives in the southeast and has a recommendation. I will be doing everything but the paint myself however, I might assist with the prep work. Thanks again for all of the information so far! I mentioned before I own a shop close to I20 between Birmingham and Atlanta if anyone is close by and is bored on the weekends I would swap out access to the lifts and equipment for a little assistance on some of the project! Thanks again!
Cool. I order lots of stuff from LMR but on the weatherstripping, I'd order the whole Daniel Carpenter kit from Blue Oval Industries like @JKWilson61 mentioned. I appreciate the fact that they put the manufacturer's name on it so you know exactly what you are getting up front. There ya go.....click that link. (it automatically downloads everything on your hard drive to my computer.....:jester: ......JOKING!!!!)

Oh ok I must have misunderstood the thread that was done on the weatherstripping that someone put the link to on this thread. The way I understood it was that the "genuine ford" from LMR won the competition. I will have to go back and read the thread again. Thanks for the heads up though!

Oh ok I must have misunderstood the thread that was done on the weatherstripping that someone put the link to on this thread. The way I understood it was that the "genuine ford" from LMR won the competition. I will have to go back and read the thread again. Thanks for the heads up though!
I did the evaluation. The Daniel Carpenter was the best. Doesn't matter where you get it from but you must know it is Daniel Carpenter before you order. Sadly, LMR refuses to put that info on there. That's why people have been ordering from Blue Oval. They spell it out. I'm not buying anything that I have to assume or guess on.

I found out about the fender differences when I tried to replace one on my 92 vert. After two wrong fenders I finally got a used one that was the right year, after some research I found out about the wheel opening difference.

Contemplating ordering the 130 amp alternator conversion kit for my car. Replacing the wiring that comes with the kit and a inspection during the process should take care of the fire hazard right? I would hate for this thing to catch on fire in my shop!

• Agree
It won't (it shouldn't) catch fire sitting (not running), the issue is the connection at the alternator overheating and I believe it was resolved by 1991 by ford, the alternator upgrade is worth the effort as long as you update ALL the grounds between the alternator and the battery/block and engine compartment sheet metal.

IMO, The 3G alt/big 3 wiring upgrade is a must.

I echo the consensus above about the DCR stuff. It seems to be a notch above the typical repro stuff from LMR, etc. I also try to buy from Blue Oval when I can so I can guarantee what I am getting.

Re: the question about carpet above, I currently have the ACC stuff from LMR. The mass-back carpet is decent, but I am not thrilled with the hatch carpet. Both have faded some over time and the hatch carpet, in particular, seems cheaply made. I wish I could find a better alternative. If your OEM carpet is even close to being salvageable, my advice would be to try to clean and reuse, if possible.

I have the carpet completely out now and am going to try to pressure wash it and clean it as well as the seats. I believe you can see part of the carpet in some of the pictures I posted, it is really rough. The front seats are pretty bad as well, the back not so bad. Does anyone have a suggestion on which type of cleaner to use? Has anyone used a pressure washer for this before? I was told to do this by a local car dealer (said he does it all the time on cars from the auction) and I have never done it before.

If you go to Home Depot you can rent the carpet cleaner for $23.00 for 4 hours. It has the scrubbing suction devise. Make sure you get the hoses their included. You soak the seats and suck the dirty water out. Keep doing it until your seats almost look new.