Electrical Headlights

jason865

Feb 14, 2016
So I noticed last summer that my headlights shut off after about 30 minutes. Only happens with he fog lights on. I was thinking something with the headlight switch. Any thoughts? Any common issues? Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

There is a problem with the factorry fog lights drawing to much current through the headlight switch and the headlight switch overheating. There are several write ups on how to wire a relay in to fix the problem. Until you fix it it will only get worse and possible melt your headlight switch.

I had a missing fog light. I replaced it with a factory used fog light. Then I started using.the fog lights and notice the problem.
I looked into the tsb and yes it was resolved before 1990. Could the issue just be in the headlight switch itself? By the look of the wiring diagrams i have there is a circuit breaker built into the switch

If you read the TSB they want the headlight switch assembly, fog light switch, and connectors replaced if they're damaged. I think they also run a larger wire to the fog lights.

The circuit breaker is there so if the switch does overheat, it will self reset when it cools down and you get your lights back.

If you read the TSB they want the headlight switch assembly, fog light switch, and connectors replaced if they're damaged. I think they also run a larger wire to the fog lights.

The circuit breaker is there so if the switch does overheat, it will self reset when it cools down and you get your lights back.
Yeah thats whats happening. I'm going to check the wiring and switches make sure nothing is melted. With for lights on for 15 or 20 minutes the headlights will ahit off and a few minutes later they come back on. Leave fog lights off and no problem.

The fix:
I think it is about post #11?