Heads and cam for 93 cobra intake

Truba055

Jan 27, 2018
My current setup on my 90 lx vert is a 93 cobra intake upper/lower, CAI, Mass air meter, 65mm TB, headers, cat back, 3.73s. I'm planning on upgrading the H-pipe and fuel system. It is just a cruiser, not a track car but I would like to add some more power. What would a good head/cam combo be? I can get a good deal on some used TFS 170s.

• Sponsors (?)

170s would be a good match, especially if you got that lower ported. But for the cost, upgrading the intake would give you better numbers, but then you could select a better head like the 190 11R TFS heads. So it really depends on what sort of combo you are putting together.

Myself? I'm doing a TFS170 based combo with tmoss ported explorer intake and likely a custom grind cam. Looking for street drivability for a cruiser, and not total peak HP

The cobra will flow well enough for those 170s. I made 271/311 with TFS 170s, stage 1 cam, and cobra intake. It would be just fine for a cruiser. If you can spend a little more money you could have a custom ground cam that will give you stock cam drivability and make more power. Also most stangneters would recommend having TMOSS port the lower to get the most out of your combo.

170s would be a good match, especially if you got that lower ported. But for the cost, upgrading the intake would give you better numbers, but then you could select a better head like the 190 11R TFS heads. So it really depends on what sort of combo you are putting together.

Myself? I'm doing a TFS170 based combo with tmoss ported explorer intake and likely a custom grind cam. Looking for street drivability for a cruiser, and not total peak HP

jinx

I have one on my shelf. Prob won't run it. I've seen a lot of guys happy with it but I've also heard from many that it's a cam that likes RPM and comes alive over 3k rpm.

It likes RPM and will pull till around 6k where the cobra intake (unless ported) will start wheezing and the car will fall on its face. Not great for a street environment unless you like turning that much RPM, which you will need, just to run down the ecoboost Ford Explorer that walked away from you at the red light. If your driving conditions allow you to turn that much RPM then it will put a smile on your face but you will be at the limit of the intake. You will definitely need 373s and I have been wondering if 410s would actually be better with that cam. You will definitely need a tune, and in my experience, if there are any issues with fuel or air, no matter how minor, you will experience drivability issues. I would strongly recommend going with a custom cam or keeping the stock cam with 1.7s which IMO would be more fun on the street.

The heads that I can get a good deal on come with 1.6s. Would it be worth the money to get 1.7s (with a stock cam) if it comes with 1.6s.

I wouldn't turn away from a good deal over 1.6 vs 1.7s.

Honestly, custom grind cams aren't a whole lot. For the cost of hunting down 1.7s, put that towards a custom grind

Reactions: 1 user
Cobra intake would work with any head setup because your not trying to get maximum power and et out of it.. It's a cruiser but I would go with at least the tw170's and have a custom cam made.

Stage 1 cam is a good cam i've had one for years in my daily driver and have one now in my other car. It has never given me a problem in either car. In both situations it was the cheapest route actually dirt cheap. Stop lights and idling never had stalling issues and above 3k it does pull like a train but the lower end could be lacking some grunt depending on the other parts of the equation like others mentioned.

Ok based on some of the comments I'm thinking about looking for a different deal. LMR sells there SVE heads that get good reviews and are relatively inexpensive. I was thinking about them with a set of proform 1.7 roller rockers and keeping the stock cam for now. It sound like that may give me a good compromise of price, performance, and not kill my low end torque. Keeping in mind that this is just a cruiser and will never be a race car. Just looking for a little more performance and a better sound. Thoughts?

SVE heads aren't bad but when compared to other heads especially the trickflows they aren't worth the time/money ripping the motor down to do.

If the engine had issues and I was low on money, sure I would toss the SVE heads on rather then deal with having the crappy e7 heads ran though and would save some weight a very slight increase in performance but otherwise no