Heads and Headers

96snakebite

May 17, 2003
Victoria, TX
Alright, heres the situation. I bought FR500 heads for my 96 Cobra. Since these heads were made for 99-01 Cobras, I know that I need to change my intake (in progress), but what about my valve covers? I was wondering if my old valve covers would fit, and if so, would there be any clearance problem due to the high lift cam kit that I bought? Also, would I use 99-01 headers, or 96-98 headers? My guess is that the FR500 heads are wider, and therefore require a more narrow intake. But are they wider on the fenderwell side of the engine bay also? Since my car has been in pieces for about 8 months now, I am ready to get some last minute answers about pieces that I need to still get. You know FR500's arent cheap! Also, will the FR500 heads lower or raise my compression. I cant find anywhere what the cc's are. Anyone have any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

Hmmm, From what I understand, you will just need the intake manifold off a stock 99 or 01 cobra. You will use 99 or 01 headers, because those are the heads you are bolting them up to, but I am unsure if there will be clearance issues. I would assume you need new covers, because those heads are massive, and I imagine that the 99+ covers work, so if the 96-98 covers are the same, they may work.

I would say headers for the 99-01 4v would work the best. There will be no difference in the dimension of the cylinder head, so you will run into no fitment problems. A 99-01 intake will bolt right up. You can use your 96-98 valve covers but it is a very tight fit between the throttle body and the breather position that goes to the air intake tube. I used my 96 valve covers on a 99 cobra motor I ran in my car for a short period of time. I have a set of 99+ valve covers on my new engine now. I don't know what it will do to your compression ratio though. If you have any questions on swapping over to run 99+ intake just ask.

Has anyone in here even heard of anyone with FR500 heads, or am I the only reason that ford even decided to put them into production. I have been unsuccessful in finding anyone to give me guidance in this particular setup. I know that ford has done it, but everytime that I call FRPP, I get switched around from person to person like a street h**ker. From my experience, FRPP is not one bit of help. And from what I have read, I see people talking about Ford cutting costs by cutting corners when they put these engines into production. So why would I contact someone who cuts corners, for advice on building a reliable, efficient engine? I sure wish I could locate someone who has experience in this endeavor. Sorry, just a little frustrated at this time of my life. The whole reason my car is broken is because the jackass that changed my oil put 15W-50 in my f*****g engine when it gets down to 20 degrees here. About that time, my wife was due to have a baby, and quit her job to stay home, so I am supporting 3 people, 2 carpayments, and 650+ a month in house bills, on a 2000 dollar paycheck. That pretty much leaves me empty handed, and with a broken car. The air force doesn't pay enough to have fun with a vehicle. ?.......Okay I'm done. If anyone has heard of someone with FR500 heads on a 96-98 cobra engine, please point me in the right direction. Thanks for reading my bs

FR500 heads = FR500 valvetrain kit, right? My friend said it'll yeild you 25+rwhp/35+rwtq, you'll gain sommore from the intake too.

I don't think many people have it becuase it is expensive, with labor the price would be enormous. But from what I have heard it is a quality kit that yeilds very good gains.