Heads Or Supercharger.... This Is New.

Arkfoxvert

Oct 19, 2017
i know this has been discussed a million times.
I have a 87 gt vert that I’m building as a fun cruiser, mountain road, possibly autocross car.
I want to add a bit more power. It has shorty headers, h pipe and flows dumped. Smog delete.
I have an eddy intake and 70mm tb and egr waiting to go on.
I’m on a budget because it needs a new top and I just spent quite a bit on suspension.

Question is I found a set of nearly new gt40x Heads 64cc for about $600.
I want to leave the car speed density for now so should I grab these heads, and some 1.7 rockers?
Or spend the money on a vortech v3 sci and run the fmu?

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

You're going have to have some way to monitor your own AFR or have the car tuned to ensure it gets enough fuel.

Not all 19 lb injectors are up to the task of 80+ psi. Neither are fuel pumps and alternators for that matter.

Naturally aspirated almost always works better for corner carving.
It's one thing to drive a supercharged pushrod engine hard here and there randomly.
It's an entirely different thing to beat the hell out of for miles at a time, I could only imagine how much trouble it would cause.
How many miles are on this engine?
If you don't feel you could install the heads, then you can't fix a head gasket...

Reactions: 1 user
Putting a set of heads on isn't that difficult, as long as you take your time and pay attention. I learned that the hard way many years ago. Something's it's just better to take your time with.

Doing the head swap will be as difficult as your organization skills make it. Use painters tape and a marker to label each electrical connector as you unplug them so you know where they go back to, do the same for the vacuum lines. Buy zip lock bags and as you remove bolts and the like mark them as well this way all the valve cover bolts are in one bag clearly labeled (valve cover) ect... taking these steps will ensure a smooth reassembly. For all other tech related questions like 'what do I use to get the old gasket off the block' 'what do I torque this to' we are here to help.

Alternatively you could grab a service manual, it will outline the step you need to take and has the recommended torque values.

I am a fan of boost myself I don't see why 6psi would affect the engine much over long durations, the centri style blowers are efficient and produce low intake air temps.