Heat Barrier Insulation

Grabbin' Asphalt

5 Year Member
Jun 10, 2013
Atlanta, Ga
I pulled into my parking deck and came back out to the car 20min later. I then noticed how much warmer it was inside the car than in the parking deck.
So for the DD, I believe its time for some heat barrier material to help from heat soaking the cabin.
Any advice on material, brand names or techniques from experience??

• Sponsors (?)

When you put the new carpet in does it have the insulation under it or was it put in without it? I have seen a ton of people put the carpet back less the insulation. Just a thought

When you put the new carpet in does it have the insulation under it or was it put in without it? I have seen a ton of people put the carpet back less the insulation. Just a thought

I think the carpet didn't have good insulation under it as well.
I'm going to look into getting the floorboard layered with those heat shield sections, ......and then add insulation on top of that??

Alright, so I've done some research and I'm headed to Home Depot to get some Frost King tacky insulation. It helps with heating/cooling along with noise dampining. I'm gonna do my hatch/trunck first and see how that goes. I'll report back with some pics and info :nice:

Well this is what I got, they were $18.97 + $7 at the depot....

I also added the new rear carpet, mat cover logo and my own fabricated privacy cover. I used cabinet locks for the clips on the side to lock it in place. It fits snug against the rear seat on top of the fold downs. I bought a real privacy cover, but I like this way because I can open the hatch without revealing everything evertime its opened. I've got to finish the paint but it's close. Btw ....the Frost King insulation is very easy to work with, no funny smells like others I've read about. Now that I've got a little experience I'll tackle the passenger compartment when I can. Oh btw 1 roll did that trunk barely so make sure you plan it right.

IMAG0616.jpg
IMAG0618-1.jpg
IMAG0622.jpg
IMAG0624.jpg
IMAG0625.jpg
IMAG0626.jpg
IMAG0628.jpg
IMAG0630.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
My buddy did the frost king stuff, worked well, but by the time he was done, he could have bought some of the cheaper sound deadener/heat barriers. The cost was negligible. Either way, it will still work.

Joe

My buddy did the frost king stuff, worked well, but by the time he was done, he could have bought some of the cheaper sound deadener/heat barriers. The cost was negligible. Either way, it will s
till work.

Joe

Yeah I know what you mean, not sure what it will take for the passenger area. But I believe this is the way lighter avenue compared to the premium sound deadner material. I originally wanted a thermo-barrier and now I got a little of everything!!

Reactions: 1 user
Oh if anyone is wondering what I used to mount the amp on the fold down, ...I just pricked a small hole through the carpet and ran small zip ties through the upper amp holes. The carpet hooks onto the top of the fold down so I didn't have to drill or anytyhing. There is enough slack in the amp wires to release the fold down flush to the back seat. That way I can just slip out the wires from the 12" sub box(from best buy) and easly take it out if i need to haul something. Which that would be quite rare, but it gives me options with taking trips with suit cases etc... :spot: